• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DOOA Maru - Why not?

PPhoxinus

So it’s been a while since I last posted and I’ve learnt quite a lot in the decade in-between. I have a few tanks on the go at the mo, but I’m setting up a new cube tank. As I was checking out I spotted the DOOA Maru at Horizon Aquatics and I impulse bought one. 2 days later it has arrived and I’ve given it a go. I’ll journal progress in here, let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 7F02FE3C-274C-4F24-9EEB-BAC799F3B41F.jpeg
    7F02FE3C-274C-4F24-9EEB-BAC799F3B41F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 425
  • 58D94160-8EB3-485E-8C26-183B2D239172.jpeg
    58D94160-8EB3-485E-8C26-183B2D239172.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 242
  • F9846E5F-CB64-49F0-8D70-8E444A42B7F6.jpeg
    F9846E5F-CB64-49F0-8D70-8E444A42B7F6.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 228
  • A8149CE3-7DB8-40C0-AB6C-09023BBE3CFA.jpeg
    A8149CE3-7DB8-40C0-AB6C-09023BBE3CFA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 263
  • 28C9B836-118A-4985-9FD1-7A67F8BCDB9A.jpeg
    28C9B836-118A-4985-9FD1-7A67F8BCDB9A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 216
Any updates as looking forward to seeing this, also would love to see and know more about the pico reef .

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The Maru is going well. A few days in now and the plants are all still green, hope fully in a few more days there will be signs of root growth.
It's quite diversely planted so we'll see what thrives and what doesn't in time.
Planted with:
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Myriophyllum guyana
Taxiphyllum barbieri
Pogostemon helferi
Monte Carlo
Eleocharis acicularis Mini
IMG_4540.jpeg

For those interested in the pico reef, it's a 15cm NACD cube based on a tank from Salty Gallon on Nano-Reef. It's actual water volume is just under 2 litres when emptied out at water change time and it has been running successfully from October. it has a small TMC gooseneck, a 10w fixed heater and a small return pump behind the back wall. The acrylic was custom ordered and then just siliconed in place. Livestock is purely soft coral with various small starfish and other hitchhikers plus a hermit crab.
IMG_4324.jpeg

The Maru is going well. A few days in now and the plants are all still green, hope fully in a few more days there will be signs of root growth.
It's quite diversely planted so we'll see what thrives and what doesn't in time.
Planted with:
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Myriophyllum guyana
Taxiphyllum barbieri
Pogostemon helferi
Monte Carlo
Eleocharis acicularis Mini
View attachment 167147

For those interested in the pico reef, it's a 15cm NACD cube based on a tank from Salty Gallon on Nano-Reef. It's actual water volume is just under 2 litres when emptied out at water change time and it has been running successfully from October. it has a small TMC gooseneck, a 10w fixed heater and a small return pump behind the back wall. The acrylic was custom ordered and then just siliconed in place. Livestock is purely soft coral with various small starfish and other hitchhikers plus a hermit crab.
View attachment 167148
Love it the dooa looks good, i know nothing about saltwater but would love to dip my toe and have something like this as not as time consuming as a larger set up would love to know more. Does it need much equipment and take up much time etc.

Dean

Just setup a few jars/vases myself, nothing ADA fancy though :), will be watching to see how this grows.
Love it the dooa looks good, i know nothing about saltwater but would love to dip my toe and have something like this as not as time consuming as a larger set up would love to know more. Does it need much equipment and take up much time etc.

Dean

IMO a soft coral tank is less work than a high tech planted tank, most soft corals are very easy to care for, slow-growing and tolerate a beating. Equipment wise, for a soft coral tank, tank, light, heater and flow, A skimmer would be nice but not needed and regular water changes.

Just setup a few jars/vases myself, nothing ADA fancy though :), will be watching to see how this grows.

IMO a soft coral tank is less work than a high tech planted tank, most soft corals are very easy to care for, slow-growing and tolerate a beating. Equipment wise, for a soft coral tank, tank, light, heater and flow, A skimmer would be nice but not needed and regular water changes.
Dont want to hijack this thread but may send you a message about it thanks nick

Thanks both. I agree with Nick, soft corals are fairly easy to keep. Maintenance on this is 100% water change every 2 weeks or so, check salinity daily and top-off every few days, feed every week with reef-roids powder. The heater is switched off half the time as the pump produces enough heat for a tank this size. A skimmer would be overkill on this. People do use them but isn't needed on much pico/nano stuff. Temperature control (over-heating) and balancing water at change time seem to be the most important things. I'm not sure if posting to other forums is allowed? the journal space on nano-reef (particularly tigah-boy and salty gallon) is probably worth a browse if you are interested. Good news is that you don't need and RODI unit for something this small. Just a trip to the LFS every few months for 2*25 litres.

So the bad news is that the pico reef didn't survive the summer temperatures and my honeymoon absence. I still have all the equipment and will likely start it up again one day. The good news is that I have rescaped the Maru and bought my first ADA tank from Horizon Aquatics. It's a 20C and I will likely update that here and on my new journal coming soon.

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpeg
    IMG_5582.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6818.jpeg
    IMG_6818.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 166
Shame about the pico reef i just discovered and read it wiped out all at the same time! it was fantastic, but all good things must come to an end.

The new cube looks lush i love the delicate planting.

18 months later and the cube has matured nicely, the Maru pot is re-planted every few months due to fast growth and I’ve had an SPS dominant reef growing in the same tank for over a year. Plus, I’ve recently set up a soil based Mini S on my bedside and I’m looking to start a UNS 60L on my bookcase. Oh, and the DOOA Neo 20 is growing well as an emersed/bog terrarium. (Plus my Mini M, but that has its own short thread).
15AD0148-5507-48A4-B7B7-552A798F0C3F.jpeg
73981ED7-F40C-40E2-A2C9-29049E59AD32.jpeg
371FD88C-EB82-48EE-A7A0-2C1B69AA717C.jpeg
84CFF1A3-FB84-4694-9022-2784CDCEEB49.jpeg
22BFA52F-B3EA-4790-BA3C-0DE0A8580185.jpeg
CED067C1-0DEA-4D3D-879F-84DDA364E470.jpeg

18 months later and the cube has matured nicely, the Maru pot is re-planted every few months due to fast growth and I’ve had an SPS dominant reef growing in the same tank for over a year. Plus, I’ve recently set up a soil based Mini S on my bedside and I’m looking to start a UNS 60L on my bookcase. Oh, and the DOOA Neo 20 is growing well as an emersed/bog terrarium. (Plus my Mini M, but that has its own short thread).View attachment 201255View attachment 201256View attachment 201257View attachment 201258View attachment 201259View attachment 201260

What light are you using on the DOOA Neo ?
It all looks great wish I had room for similar projects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What light are you using on the DOOA Neo ?
It all looks great wish I had room for similar projects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a one of these: Amazon product ASIN B096372SQ3The light on the Mini S is a modified version of the above. It's not as pretty spectrum wise as some of the Twinstar stuff I've got, but it's also a tenth of the price of some of the alternatives.

Thanks! Apart from my 60cm cube I only have room/time for small stuff!
DSCF5809.JPG

That's the badger. New link here: Amazon product ASIN B096372SQ3Size L works well for the 20cm cube and Size S works well fro Maru pots etc. They are USB driven and I can't remember if they come with a plug, but that doesn't really matter. Also, they bolt into the wooden base so you can change the base if you wish (as I have done with the Mini S).

Back