• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Something... Something... Shallow UG Tank!

Diversifying the pond life. Not sure how much bacteria and small protozoa there are to keep the Paramecium going yet. Not even sure what species of Paramecium it is. Will keep a culture going though and periodically add to the tank. There’s currently daphnia surviving in there:

1616243403262.jpeg

Other critters too.

Found this video interesting:

In that amount of current you’re talking ‘fast food’. The bladders would also be dangling in the current. By comparison, figure if it’s there in this little setup then UG will find it if there’s enough diversity of food sources, even planted into the soil. Minuscule flow compared to a stream, but also a sealed system so more chances at taking a swipe at the merry-go-round of food.

Would even consider increasing the flow in this tank once the UG is more established. Force things to seek shelter amongst the UG... closer to the bladders.

It’s trucking along @John q

The Salvinia auriculata boomed so there was obviously still a fair amount of nutrients in the system. The Salvinia auriculata is finally beginning to show signs of deficiencies so nearly time to remove them, done their job mopping up the water column. Still just daily potassium being added, nothing else.

Introduction of paramecium and rain water from the barrel has led to an assortment of life in there, the UG responded pretty quickly thereafter. Actually removed a few portions and put them in the mature hard tap water AS600 a couple of weeks ago. UG is even doing alright in there against all expectations. Have more UG on order so will plant that tank out and see if it will keep in very hard water with enough food sources.

One new tank, lean and soft. The other mature, EI and very hard....

Well certainly adds weight to the argument that most plants can thrive in various water conditions.

The marker of ‘thrive’ will be longevity, at least a couple of years. Can’t say much after just one month but it’s fair to say it’s interesting so far given all that’s said about UG.

1616851646471.jpeg

Seven weeks:

1618651437817.jpeg

All the tanks are taking a back seat because of work at the moment so they’re just having to keep trucking. Spread is nearly there with this one and the front left has nearly recovered from the poaching of UG.

1618651753714.jpeg

The four pots of UG from Tropica ordered a while ago finally turned up this week and the hard water AS600 has been planted out with a UG foreground now. We’ll see if UG can make it in hard as nails Cambridgeshire water with EI dosing. Both tanks have critters present, water fleas etc.

1618652022186.jpeg

Found that the UG in the 45F is happier with much higher flow than most would go for. Same conditions apply in the AS600 where the return hits the front glass and straight down into the sand. All the videos of wild submersed UG place it in fast moving water so attempting to replicate. As ever, just playing around to see what is what.

Hope you’re all having a nice weekend 😎

Coming along nicely Geoffrey, such a different looking plant isnt it looks very soft mpre like some sort of coral. Very interesting read mate

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ten weeks:

1620547660133.jpeg

UG has nearly populated all the available area. It’s matted out reasonably well too:

1620547734253.jpeg

Tank hasn’t been cleaned or received a water change for over two weeks now. It remains pretty clean given the circumstances, just a wee bit of surface film but nothing major. The bonus of this laziness is there’s more wildlife scurrying about the tank which can only help.

One bit of UG has managed to get loose and attach to the lava rock. Enjoying emersed life:

1620548120708.jpeg

Light down to 75% since the last post, daily K and micros every other day.

I've seen you used aquasoil, but wondered if you have any peat in there too?

Just aquarium soil. Gave the tank a dark start at the beginning to tackle ammonia levels though.

Also are you 'feeding' it with any microorganisms?

Yes. Paramecium culture every 3-4 weeks so far.

Just aquarium soil. Gave the tank a dark start at the beginning to tackle ammonia levels though.
Ah great tip, I didn't dare try it in my first scape because of what I'd read - I think its a fascinating plant though.

Yes. Paramecium culture every 3-4 weeks so far.
I'll have to do some more research into that, I wouldn't know where to begin on manufacturing / acquiring these tiny beings - I've seen a few threads about it on here, so I know where to go :)

Thanks Geoffrey!

I wouldn't know where to begin on manufacturing / acquiring these tiny beings

You can just buy culture’s from eBay vendors @ScaperJoe . Paramecium is just a broad brush name for lots of organisms. Can’t really leave stuff laying around here so just ordering it in every month. It’s a few quid posted. If you’re happy to continue the culture on then it’s a few quid just the once to get things rolling. Most vendors will give you instructions on how to do this successfully.

So jealous of this tank, it looks amazing!

The whole reason for starting this journal @PM_ME_YOUR_NEONS is to hopefully demonstrate UG isn’t all that complicated. My hope is that others will have a go with it in a mono species tank, without stock in, to get to know it’s habits.

It needs feeding, period. If it’s not a mature setup then getting a diverse amount of wildlife going from the get go is a must as it is carnivorous. You can grow it in soil, just daily water change the tank with the soil in for a week before planting to remove as much ammonia as possible. UG isn’t unique in that plopping a lot of carpeting plants into fresh soil will burn them.

If you have water that leans towards the soft to middle and it’s a mature setup, plop some in the tank and see how it gets on. As long as there’s something for it to subsist on in the substrate and the water column it should do alright. Even in Cambridgeshire tap it isn’t booming, but nor is it going bust:

1620649994806.jpeg

That tank is double taboo as it’s extremely hard tap water and the tank is EI dosed. Could all still come crashing down though so we’ll see how it goes.

Back