• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tidy Jungle II, III and IV

So...a few updates.

I added a juvenile Siamese Algae Eater and it's already getting to work. I plan to keep it even when it reaches full size, as long as it doesn't become a bully!

There are very small signs of hair algae appearing. When I say small, you can count the individual strands on one hand so I'm not too concerned yet.

I also bit the proverbial bullet and got myself a CO2 kit. I've been wanting to try it for a long time and I think after 10+ years in the hobby it's overdue. I was originally planning to buy a smaller tank to practice on rather than the main display tank but then I thought if you don't take risks and challenge yourself you'll never grow. I also wanted the technical experience for a business I'm planning to set up.

For now I'll use the EI dosing method simply because I just want a simple straightforward method. I've used it before with good results. Unless someone can advise otherwise.

64d7e51d6ed7d04aff3268ed0fddd808.jpg

Some big updates!

Very sadly my Angelfish died this week. I suspect it gorged itself on food which is probably my fault. It's weird how after so many years you can still make mistakes like overfeeding. I saw that fish day in, day out for 8 years and now it's just... gone. It's a little weird.

With every bad thing comes something good however, since the Angelfish's passing the tank has really come alive. All of the shrimp that were hiding are now out and destroying algae. All the other inhabitants just seem more relaxed.

I haven't touched the CO2 for a good while. It's running at roughly 3 bps and turning the drop checker a vibrant emerald green but not lime green. When I had it higher and turning lime green the fish didn't like it and they're the most important thing at the end of the day.

I've been trying to optimise the flow trying all manner of things but since I'm not using a spray bar I've put all the outputs and powerheads on the back wall, firing at the front glass. The 2217 that has the inline atomiser is facing 45 degrees shooting across the tank and one of the powerheads is pointing up at the surface to give some agitation. It seems to be working and probably the best setup I can achieve with what I've got.

The plants seem happier and I'll tell you what I've noticed since adding the CO2;
  • The Amazon Sword is growing leaves about 10 inches in size rather than 6 inches and the stems are literally an inch thick rather than the thickness of airline tubing. None of the new growth has visible diatoms on it whereas the old growth does.
  • The Hydrocotyle Leucocephala has slightly bigger, greener and healthier leaves and is throwing down plenty of roots.
  • The Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown is now vertical rather than flat against the substrate and the new leaves are lighter, almost beige but it's too early to see if the leaf pattern has changed.
  • The Bucephalandra is a bit more sparkly and putting out leaves quicker.
  • The vallisneria looks much much healthier and is now reaching the surface.
  • The Cryptocoryne Balansae is looking greener and putting out more leaves.
  • Still no algae to speak of.

I've added 9 Clithon snails after a message from Green Aqua they suggested that they aren't as bad for egg laying as Nerites so I'm giving them a go. The Amano shrimp have also grown crazy quick, most are close to if not adult size already.

I also added 2 very cute Apistogramma Macmasteri 'Red Mask' from @shangman . They're really healthy, colourful and so inquisitive. I've always loved how dwarf cichlids swim in that start-stop motion. "At the moment" none of the other fish are bothered by them, including the shrimp. In fact at one point I saw one of them less than a few cm face to face with an Amano and the shrimp didn't even flinch. Hopefully it stays that way!

If you're thinking TL/DR, things are going well lol.

Attachments

• F0DD744B-F17E-4510-B9CF-1B3FC3AE9842.jpeg
    F0DD744B-F17E-4510-B9CF-1B3FC3AE9842.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 179
  • A315288F-B37A-45AE-BD5A-8C190613C170.jpeg
    A315288F-B37A-45AE-BD5A-8C190613C170.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 187
  • 6D71C528-AA36-481F-931D-3020BBC7E4DE.jpeg
    6D71C528-AA36-481F-931D-3020BBC7E4DE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 174
  • 46B680E5-6691-4209-B90F-70E57878574A.jpeg
    46B680E5-6691-4209-B90F-70E57878574A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I also added 2 very cute Apistogramma Macmasteri 'Red Mask' from @shangman . They're really healthy, colourful and so inquisitive. I've always loved how dwarf cichlids swim in that start-stop motion. "At the moment" none of the other fish are bothered by them, including the shrimp. In fact at one point I saw one of them less than a few cm face to face with an Amano and the shrimp didn't even flinch. Hopefully it stays that way!

A315288F-B37A-45AE-BD5A-8C190613C170.jpeg

😍😍😍 Obsessed with this photo tbh 😍😍😍

I'm so pleased they're settling in well, happy they're already bringing you lots of joy and entertainment, their curiosity is so funny! And they have so much growing to do still, I think atm they are about 3cm, and should reach up to 6.5cm.

(ps to anyone reading who is happy to pick up from South London I have many more! 😜)

Very sadly my Angelfish died this week. I suspect it gorged itself on food which is probably my fault. It's weird how after so many years you can still make mistakes like overfeeding. I saw that fish day in, day out for 8 years and now it's just... gone. It's a little weird.
RIP to your Angelfish, you gave it a fabulous long life, and if you're gonna go, eating too much tasty food has gotta be one of the best ways to go.

I like the long updates, would love to see some photos of the whole tank and how it's developing now with the CO2!

Some big updates!

With every bad thing comes something good however, since the Angelfish's passing the tank has really come alive. All of the shrimp that were hiding are now out and destroying algae. All the other inhabitants just seem more relaxed.

I haven't touched the CO2 for a good while. It's running at roughly 3 bps and turning the drop checker a vibrant emerald green but not lime green. When I had it higher and turning lime green the fish didn't like it and they're the most important thing at the end of the day.

I've been trying to optimise the flow trying all manner of things but since I'm not using a spray bar I've put all the outputs and powerheads on the back wall, firing at the front glass. The 2217 that has the inline atomiser is facing 45 degrees shooting across the tank and one of the powerheads is pointing up at the surface to give some agitation. It seems to be working and probably the best setup I can achieve with what I've got.

The plants seem happier and I'll tell you what I've noticed since adding the CO2;
  • The Amazon Sword is growing leaves about 10 inches in size rather than 6 inches and the stems are literally an inch thick rather than the thickness of airline tubing. None of the new growth has visible diatoms on it whereas the old growth does.
  • The Hydrocotyle Leucocephala has slightly bigger, greener and healthier leaves and is throwing down plenty of roots.
  • The Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown is now vertical rather than flat against the substrate and the new leaves are lighter, almost beige but it's too early to see if the leaf pattern has changed.
  • The Bucephalandra is a bit more sparkly and putting out leaves quicker.
  • The vallisneria looks much much healthier and is now reaching the surface.
  • The Cryptocoryne Balansae is looking greener and putting out more leaves.
  • Still no algae to speak of.

I've added 9 Clithon snails after a message from Green Aqua they suggested that they aren't as bad for egg laying as Nerites so I'm giving them a go. The Amano shrimp have also grown crazy quick, most are close to if not adult size already.

If you're thinking TL:DR, things are going well lol.

Sorry to hear about your Angel. It may well have been the stress of moving into a new environment, and getting used to elevated CO2 levels perhaps, that may have contributed too? It’s a good age for a fish, nonetheless.

I hope this doesn’t appear a stupid question, but I assume the drop checker, in the picture above is usually under the water level?

if you're gonna go, eating too much tasty food has gotta be one of the best ways to go.

I like the long updates, would love to see some photos of the whole tank and how it's developing now with the CO2!
Right?! Went out like a rockstar.

Oh yes! Some full tank shots are incoming. It's weird because it doesn't look all that different to me but I stare at it every damn day so I'm sure you guys will notice.

Sorry to hear about your Angel. It may well have been the stress of moving into a new environment, and getting used to elevated CO2 levels perhaps, that may have contributed too? It’s a good age for a fish, nonetheless.

I hope this doesn’t appear a stupid question, but I assume the drop checker, in the picture above is usually under the water level?
Thanks, I think the Angelfish was comfortable in the surroundings but you're right in that the elevated CO2 levels probably exacerbated the situation for it.

Not a stupid question at all! In the picture the drop checker is actually out of the water. I took a picture whilst I was doing a water change when I suspected the CO2 was too high. It's normally submerged and gets to this colour still though.

Not a stupid question at all! In the picture the drop checker is actually out of the water. I took a picture whilst I was doing a water change when I suspected the CO2 was too high. It's normally submerged and gets to this colour still though.

Thought I’d check just in case 😉

A40D6C58-B46E-4675-835F-D27604AB5420.jpeg

Full tank shot for the junkies.

I think the changes are small and more noticeable in person. A few small things I forgot to mention; I moved all the Lindernia Rotundifolia to the left side so it's just on one side now and put some Hygrophila Difformis in the empty space. The Tiger Lotus split off from the bulb and so now there's two plants, still tiny but I think it just needs time to adjust. Against my strict instructions the dwarf hairgrass is growing and spreading lol but I like it.

For anyone wondering I'm still dosing EI (without nitrates), CO2 on 2 hours before lights on until 2 hours before lights off, 50% water change/detritus vacuum twice a week. Lights on 7 hours a day, currently only running 2 X 54w T5 instead of the full 4 tubes. I don't think I'll need them until the scape is really mature, if ever. Temperature kept between 23-25c. No problems so far.

Last edited:
So apparently I can't stop buying plants and this scape is starting to live up to its name. I'm looking at the 'For Sale' forum with serious side eye lol.

I gave up on trying to get my Red Tiger Lotus bulb up to speed in a shady corner and instead bought an established plant with leaves. You see already it's a more immediate impact, and will have a much better time reaching the light. I wedged the bulb up high so we'll see what happens to it without substrate. There's one small plant that broke off from the bulb in the centre that I think can catch up but I haven't replaced it yet because I want the Hydrocotyle Tripartita in front of it to get going first.

Also received some great Bucephalandra 'Crocodile Land' from @Horizon Aquatics and some unknown species from @Steve Buce . Somehow in the last month I went from never having grown Bucephalandra in my life to becoming a buce collector. I think there's about 7 different varieties minimum in there now!

I'm also experimenting using Monte Carlo as an epiphyte in the foreground. It looks a bit crap at the moment but if it takes it should look really beautiful. If it doesn't I'll just take it out. Ludwigia is turning super red as advertised but the pictures just wash it out.

49E0CC8D-114E-477B-A423-FFACE1BEC31A.jpeg
5E9AECDD-65C6-45B4-A093-90BBB333DDF7.jpeg
23D3B8DA-FF86-40A5-8103-BF552E53D052.jpeg
EF9B0A17-D047-4E3E-A798-3C06BF7615FD.jpeg
E7486010-8AFE-4EFD-A3FE-816B84756D53.jpeg

Last edited:
Also received some great Bucephalandra 'Crocodile Land' from @Horizon Aquatics and some unknown species from @Steve Buce . Somehow in the last month I went from never having grown Bucephalandra in my life to become a buce collector. I think there's about 7 different varieties minimum in there now!
I've started looking up bucephalandras too... I mean there are so many beautiful varieties of them it's tough to stop wanting more than you have. I can't blame you for for getting more, it's definitely something I'll look more into once I've managed to establish mine.

I've started looking up bucephalandras too... I mean there are so many beautiful varieties of them it's tough to stop wanting more than you have. I can't blame you for for getting more, it's definitely something I'll look more into once I've managed to establish mine.
My rule with getting Buce is I'll only buy a new variety if it looks significantly different from one I already have. For instance Green Velvet and Wavy Green look the same to me so I don't personally see the value. Whereas Buce red, Kedagang, crocodile and wavy all look distinctive enough from each other.

4b7baafd6dd0ca3a6f9597ddd9f6d043.jpg

Installed my old plastic breeder box for cherry shrimp to stay in whilst I setup my next project. I have SO MUCH aquarium junk in a storage tote but I'm very glad I didn't throw things away over the years because it's all coming in handy again.

The Echinodorus Parviflora is going mental, it's already 2 inches from the surface at the tallest point and throwing out 1 full size leaf per week (leaves are now 1ft long easy). My Tiger lotuses have also 'woken' up so hopefully they'll make a more prominent appearance soon. The scape is slowly coming to life, can't wait to see it fully mature!

Happy Easter peeps.

It's looking great, loving the new buces and other plants, it's starting to get proper green now 😍 I can't wait to see it in 2/3 monthswhen it goes really mad!

It's looking great, loving the new buces and other plants, it's starting to get proper green now I can't wait to see it in 2/3 monthswhen it goes really mad!

Thanks! Me too

The Apistos are doing great too, their bodies and fins are getting longer and they're becoming more colourful. Still bickering with each other though haha.

Thanks! Me too

The Apistos are doing great too, their bodies and fins are getting longer and they're becoming more colourful. Still bickering with each other though haha.
Fabulous news! I've been a bit paranoid that they might drop dead on you in case I did something wrong when raising them and didn't realise! Glad to hear they're all good. Have they got red faces yet? Mine have started going red when I drop food in and they bicker over who gets it first, and the fins are slowly getting more orange. In a few months when the plants are popping from that CO2 and the fish are grown and fully colourful this tank is gonna be 🔥🔥🔥

Also... might have to get that crocodile buce ooooh it's SO NICE!

Fabulous news! I've been a bit paranoid that they might drop dead on you in case I did something wrong when raising them and didn't realise! Glad to hear they're all good. Have they got red faces yet? Mine have started going red when I drop food in and they bicker over who gets it first, and the fins are slowly getting more orange. In a few months when the plants are popping from that CO2 and the fish are grown and fully colourful this tank is gonna be

Also... might have to get that crocodile buce ooooh it's SO NICE!

Yeah their faces have started to turn red (more intensely when feeding). I've noticed the colour changing thing now too where they can be almost pale and then suddenly 'turn on' their patterns, it's pretty amazing to see.

Do it do it! It's a lovely Buce. It reminds me of Palm trees.
d64a934b1b3a31ad661d6455066b25e5.jpg

Things are going well for the most part!

I cleaned up a TON of wood fungus this week. I've had wood fungus before but never a second round, and this time it was in full force. It hasn't grown back yet so hopefully it'll stay away.

I've started using some DTPA Iron 8% so there's that. Also had my first trim of the stem plants, the ludwigia trimmings went into the new setup and some of the Lindernia got replanted. All of the Monte Carlo floated too so it just wasn't meant to be.

I can't believe the apistogramma are juveniles! They're going to become stunning adults. The dominant one has really started to colour up and his fins are elongating. I was doing some bits in the tank and one of them swam up to the surface and I literally stopped and started in awe. So stunning.

Luckily still no significant algae other than diatoms on the glass and some of the sword leaves. Push push!

EC8BF8B3-A38A-44C2-AA11-562AEB617A01.jpeg

610644D5-164D-4A8B-8BA1-6AD8592E9A1D.jpeg

The tanks looking great @Courtneybst the scape looks like it's really coming out at you if you know what i mean?!

Looks like we nearly have the same fish stock too, apart from i have cherry barbs in mine. I'm picking up some of the beautiful Apistos from @shangman on sunday, that picture looks amazing, so much colour! I'm really excited now haha! Have you had any issues with them and the Rummynose? I have a shoal of 15 but some are still quite small, I'm hoping there is safety in numbers!

Cheers

Back