• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal My First Terrarium

😂 That made me choke haha!

To be honest these days that could easily be a real plant name but no I was just messing around, it reminds me of palm trees you see in LA that's why. 😂

Can you imagine; "Hi there, do you have any live California Gurlz in stock?" Ummmm....

The requirement to specify "live" is also a concern 😂 . . . you can tell its Friday around here can't you lol

Hi all,
But need to pay an import certificate which is £35 and £35 postage
It is a UK native moss. I've never seen it locally, and it is generally fairly uncommon in SE England, but a member in Wales or Scotland (or Norfolk Broads/Brecks or Poole Harbour area) should be able to find some.

<"It is really distinctive">, so you wouldn't need to be a moss expert to ID it.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

It is a UK native moss. I've never seen it locally, and it is generally fairly uncommon in SE England, but a member in Wales or Scotland (or Norfolk Broads/Brecks or Poole Harbour area) should be able to find some.

<"It is really distinctive">, so you wouldn't need to be a moss expert to ID it.
Yeah I noticed that Darrel but have not seen it for sale anywhere in the UK which is strange! Seems a lot of cool terrarium species are not really available in the UK :(

Found it on sale here:

But need to pay an import certificate which is £35 and £35 postage :(

Nah!? I guess a good look around and you might find it in nature.... :)

If it grows here I bet it blew over to the UK ages ago and flourished. Since it seems to love calcareous substrates.

But i guess you need to get on your knees to find it, a lot...

Last edited:
Seems to be some really nice species out there that are not available anywhere in the UK for sale:

I was actually going to purchase all of those, but the extra £70 kind of puts me off from doing it!

should not be to hard to recreate that, could continue the 3d print and custom make the magnets housing
And so I did, a couple of magnets from eBay which arrived today and 3D printed a little holder for them!
IMG_1618599306692-a206e6bf-68ed-4131-bac7-56c5a48799e6 (Medium).jpg

Works pretty well, just have to test a couple of materials to see what works best.

Here how it looked after a wipe of the glass with the new tool.

IMG_1618599259727-dfcec6e3-8e7f-4465-ba32-9bf4150c9ab4 (Medium).jpg

Cheers
Paulo

Ficus Pumila is a plant you should be able to find in the UK... It's a tiny climbing fig and the so-called var. will not be so much different.

And if you really can't i might be able to help you out.. I still have it, not much but still... It grows if taken care of, so not much will get there eventually... :)

That looks great i made the wipe with two magnets and just stuck some chair leg felt protection things that stick on bottom of chair leg they were same size as magnets, sorry i was bit late on the game but i be would love some off that moss, wish i was in USA or Japan now they got moss

So the orchid at the top fell off due to the top of the Gherkin being solid, so today I took it out and with a pliers removed the top of it which created a hole, filled it with staghorn moss and now the orchid as a nice base for it and will not fall off again.
Since things are doing pretty well I thought I would try a few more plants from my other tanks, some anubias, some buces and some ferns.

This is how it looked once I finished it off:
IMG_1618675681399-9e815475-938e-44bb-824e-ced3f6a86bc9 (Medium).jpg

I am just hoping the humidity is enough for the anubias and buces, might have to mist it every other day.

Have you tried a product called rain X anti fog on glass? Tried it when I was messing about with jar terrariums and it helped out on the condensation. Needs re applying every now and again though

Have you tried a product called rain X anti fog on glass? Tried it when I was messing about with jar terrariums and it helped out on the condensation. Needs re applying every now and again though
I have that little tool that I created using the magnets and that works a treat, when I want to see inside I just wipe it, also for some reason (maybe temp) the side facing the wall doesn't seem to condense as does the side facing the room, so every morning I just turn it around and for a couple of hours its clear on that side at lights on.

But then you need a fix for the wired lid to the cabinet so it stays put.
Haha indeed! also shame the light when it looses power it resets to default off! so can't even put it on a timer which is annoying!

Haha indeed! also shame the light when it looses power it resets to default off! so can't even put it on a timer which is annoying!

That indeed is annoying... What about the GU10 Wifi smart spotlight

The GU10 ceramic socket is available as a spare part and then hook it to the main 220VAC.

Print a new lid to fit it in... I guess the dimensions of this gu10 spot could work in your case. 50x51mm

I'm using a wifi smart bulb in this one set to warm white colour on the built-in timer 14 hours a day and works a charm. It has an EPROM to store settings at power loss.
img_20200414_085529390_hdr-large-jpg.jpg

That indeed is annoying... What about the GU10 Wifi smart spotlight
Not for the time being ;) since I am working from home and it's next to my PC screen, I just turn on/off the switch manually as per my working day ;)

Back