• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small Plec

Ancistrus: Bristlenose grow to about 4", won't (shouldn't) uproot plants but can have a nibble on the odd leaf.

Got a mustard spot pleco. They're good as gold 👍

Attachments

• 20201022_172741.jpg
    20201022_172741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
Maybe you'd be better with panda garra and or ottolincus.
I've yet to see my bristlenose dig but maybe its connected to hiding places, space or wood to chew on, mine have an abundance of all the above.

Maybe you'd be better with panda garra and or ottolincus.
I've yet to see my bristlenose dig but maybe its connected to hiding places, space or wood to chew on, mine have an abundance of all the above.

They used to burrow through the sand and soil under a big bit of bog wood making a right mess

Is that the same as gold nugget plecs? They need bog wood to nibble I’ve only got a couple redmoor roots which I don’t really want eating lol
They do like a nibble yes 😄 but it's not drastic. I've not noticed any serious damage

Was also thinking about otos but read conflicting info that they only eat biofilm not algae
My otos eat algae, but only the softer kinds. They won't eat filamentous algaes, BBA or Staghorn, or hard green spot (though soft green glass algae they love) anything very annoying and difficult for us to get rid of they aren't interested in. They also eat a lot of biofilm, as well as dried leaves (green and brown), and lightly cooked vegetables. They are really cute too, and they don't dig or disturb any of my plants, execpt to beautifully perch on them and occasionally give them a clean. If the bristolenoses are too destructive then a group of otos is very nice and peaceful!

I’ve only got a couple redmoor roots which I don’t really want eating lol

If you're worried about something nibbling on your wood then I'd definitely steer clear of plecos, its what they do.

Attachments

• 20210213_181731_06.jpg
    20210213_181731_06.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
Mustard spots are a panaque so will chew wood and make quite a mess in the process. There are quite a few small attractive species but are not algae eaters. The only ones which will eat algae are ancistrus and chaetesoma which aren’t so attractive lol. Best one I can think of is ancistrus l183, beautiful species but requires black water really and is less of an algae eater than other ancistrus.

cheers

Mustard spots are a panaque so will chew wood and make quite a mess in the process. There are quite a few small attractive species but are not algae eaters. The only ones which will eat algae are ancistrus and chaetesoma which aren’t so attractive lol. Best one I can think of is ancistrus l183, beautiful species but requires black water really and is less of an algae eater than other ancistrus.

cheers

Looks like otos or garas then lol

There are a few genius that you can look at Paraotocinclus, Hypancistrus, Chaetostoma and Peckoltia

Here’s a few examples to look up

Parotocinclus spilosoma

Hypancistrus sp. L471

Hypancistrus sp. L136

Chaetostoma formosae

Peckoltia compta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few genius that you can look at Paraotocinclus, Hypancistrus, Chaetostoma and Peckoltia

Here’s a few examples to look up

Parotocinclus spilosoma

Hypancistrus sp. L471

Hypancistrus sp. L136

Chaetostoma formosae

Peckoltia compta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I will have a look failing that it will prob be ottos lol

Back