• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ryuboku

Nice Rotala.....some of the leaves have a different width!
Are you sure you haven't got some sort of deficiency or toxicity?

Are you sure you haven't got some sort of deficiency or toxicity?
I don't think so, but I can invent one 😁
I must be the exception to the rule since I've heard it on good authority that all-in-ones like TNC Complete will poison my plants...🤪

Sort of FTS. post trim.

50834469773_e10796fd3a_b.jpg

Yeah, I've read that too, pretty much the standard advice :) I actually feed mine once a month or so with aquarium water. And you're not supposed to do that either since they supposedly loose their traps and grow ordinary leaves instead. But it brings out the red in the traps and greens them up as well. They can actually uptake nutrients through their roots.

There are three plants in the pot and they've all flowered before a couple of times and none of the plants showed the slightest health issues. They are also supposed to have a rest period over the winter, but I've found that's not necessary either. The key is light, mine is under a light 12 hours a day 365 days a year and it's fine. Well so far, at least ;)

1610639963810.png

1610639657782.png

1610639657288.png

Yeah, I've read that too, pretty much the standard advice :) I actually feed mine once a month or so with aquarium water. And you're not supposed to do that either since they supposedly loose their traps and grow ordinary leaves instead. But it brings out the red in the trap and greens them up as well. They can actually uptake nutrients through their roots.

There are three plants in the pot and they've all flowered before a couple of time and none of the plants showed the slightest health issues. They are also supposed to have a rest period over the winter, but I've found that's not necessary either. The key is light, mine is under a light 12 hours a day 365 days a year and it's fine. Well so far, at least ;)

View attachment 160680

View attachment 160681

Nice one - the light must be the difference then. We let my sons plants flower, as we didn't realise the standard advice was to cut them off. by the time we did it had started wilting quite badly. they took about 6 months to bouce back.

I also fed one of them some aquarium water up through the base, and half the traps turned black :eek:

Ours only receive natural light through a window though, so that is a big difference. (Plus the fact that I don't have a single green finger!)

6939F9B3-DFD7-4C1C-81BC-4E9C7041BD0B.jpeg

The biggest surprise, much to my lads excitement, was when one trapped a massive hornet over the summer - it took us ages to work out where the intense buzzing was coming from!

Yeah this time of year they really need a light or to rest in a cool place. Mine is a cheap IKEA desk lamp. I guess my tank water is a really weak fertz solution.

Yeah this time of year they really need a light or to rest in a cool place. Mine is a cheap IKEA desk lamp. I guess my tank water is a really weak fertz solution.

Yeah, ours are resting in the shed currently. Do you use a particularly type of bulb in the lamp, or just a standard room bulb?

Real nice scape you have there, Tim. Do I remember right that you also had a big'ol shallow tank too?

Thanks. That's right I do have a shallow, but it's only 60cm wide.
The last time it was used was nearly 2 years ago, coincidently using the same piece of wood...

1610663863939.png

Such a nice scape, and love the Venus fly trap 😍 so into carnivorous plants at the moment 💚 water mine with aquarium water as well occasionally, not had any problems or disappearance of traps, so far.

Back