• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone figured out H.Pinnatifida?

Sammy Islam

Hey people, things are going really well in general but i would love to figure out this plant! 🤣 It grows like crazy and i trim the vertical stems regularly and any runners that decide to make their way through the rotala.

But I would say the majority of leaves have holes and slowly melt away even though it grows so much.

They get loads of light as they sit directly under the light. I have very hard water, GH22 KH13 and they get good flow, CO2 and EI level ferts. I've scoured the net reading every post possible, and one from the planted tank concluded less micros/metals. Does anyone have any experience with growing this properly? 🤣😭
IMG_20201202_184137__01.jpg

Last edited:
Cracking looking tank
Do you have any close ups of the pinnatifida? It's growing in mine at the minute (tank not as established as yours) and in a similar position to yours, high up and getting plenty of light and co2. Just curious to compare,

Cracking looking tank
Do you have any close ups of the pinnatifida? It's growing in mine at the minute (tank not as established as yours) and in a similar position to yours, high up and getting plenty of light and co2. Just curious to compare,
Thank you, it's going well. I will take some photos in a bit. But as you can imagine a lot of leaves (especially old ones) have loads of little brown holes which leads to melting. I've tried everything, apart from lower my micros which was concluded in the thread i read - i'll try find it again, i think it was started by someone who is also on this forum 👍

Last edited:
Very nice scape that looks like a painting. I wish I could grow H. Pinnatifida as wild as yours as I tried it twice and failed. It is a beautiful and versatile stem that can be doubled as an epiphyte.

If you have read every article on this plant, I guess you have come across Dennis Wong one. He said pinholes are common with Pinnatifida, not necessarily caused by potassium deficiency but something else.

How to grow Hygrophila pinnatifida

Very nice scape that looks like a painting. I wish I could grow H. Pinnatifida as wild as yours as I tried it twice and failed. It is a beautiful and versatile stem that can be doubled as an epiphyte.

If you have read every article on this plant, I guess you have come across Dennis Wong one. He said pinholes are common with Pinnatifida, not necessarily caused by potassium deficiency but something else.

How to grow Hygrophila pinnatifida
Thanks it is pretty wild, grows much better as an epiphite i think. I have read that but forgot about the trace thing so thats 2 articles. Got me thinking 🤔

I dose 30ppm K already, I have tried dosing more but don't think it made a difference.

I have just looked closely to your photos and it looks like all the leaves with holes are the old leaves. The fresh growths look ok. So increasing potassium wouldn’t fix old leaves but if the fresh ones look ok I wouldn’t worry much. Also looks like your nitrate level ain’t very high as it has got reddish colour. I keep nitrate a bit higher so mine is always closer to green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just looked closely to your photos and it looks like all the leaves with holes are the old leaves. The fresh growths look ok. So increasing potassium wouldn’t fix old leaves but if the fresh ones look ok I wouldn’t worry much. Also looks like your nitrate level ain’t very high as it has got reddish colour. I keep nitrate a bit higher so mine is always closer to green.

I will up the K amd see how it goes going to make a new mix at the weekend.

Funny you should mention nitrate, as i dose 20ppm and my water contains about 30ppm, and i do 85% water changes so that should bring in around 20ppm too, i'm a little stumped now 🤔
Have you seen my thread about my weird rotala which may be related?
Rotala changes colour daily.....

I will up the K amd see how it goes going to make a new mix at the weekend.

Funny you should mention nitrate, as i dose 20ppm and my water contains about 30ppm, and i do 85% water changes so that should bring in around 20ppm too, i'm a little stumped now
Have you seen my thread about my weird rotala which may be related?
Rotala changes colour daily.....

I had same thing with rotalas. Increasing nitrate a bit helped out. If I were you I would increase kno3. By doing so you will increase nitrate and potassium too

Add some more Epsom salt!
I add 4tsp after water change, should give me about 13ppm mg. I was thinking just to double the standard to 20ppm. If i go below 13ppm my s.repens get dark veins and my pogostemon helferi goes a little pale.

I had same thing with rotalas. Increasing nitrate a bit helped out. If I were you I would increase kno3. By doing so you will increase nitrate and potassium too

What do you recommend increasing to? 30ppm and then rest from water change?

Back