• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First scape Scapers Tank 55l

Molder

Seedling
Okay, so started my first aquascape.
Details:
Equipment:
Dennerle Scapers Tank 55l
Dennerle Trocal Led Light 40
Modified Oase Filtosmart 100 with Lily Pipes and internal heater (sponge coarse-medium-fine, sachem matrix, Eheim substrate pro, seachem purigen)
CO2 system on timer with in-tank diffuser
ADA Amazonio Soil (powder)
ADA Colorado sand
Dark Seiryu stones
Spiderwood

Plants:
3 pots of Hygrophila pinnatifida and 2 cups of in vitro
5 pots of Eleocharis vivipara
2 in vitro cups of Hydrocotyle tripartita
2 in vitro cups of Christmas mos
5 pots of Anubias Mini
1 pot of Bucephalandra Theia Red
1 pot of Bucephalandra Lamandau Mini
1 pot of Cryptocoryne balansae
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow Leaf'
Microsorum pteropus 'Mini'

Photo: (was with one of my cycled HOB filters and internal filter until my new filter arrived, first day)
IMG-2856.jpg

It real it looks a bit better to be honest, and plants still need to grow in of course.

I'm thinking of changing my Trocal for a Twinstar E450, people with other recommendations or experiences? This light is strong enough but I'm not sure yet, newbie here obviously.

Also got some future stocking-thinking.
I really wanted to add some Nerite snails, probably 4 or something if possible?
But now comes the question. What other stock? I have 5 Otto's which I can put there, but I'm not sure.
Same goes for cherry shrimp, I have plenty left since they breed like rabbits but don't know if I should put them there because of that reason or if I should put in Amano shrimp for algae or both? And how many?
As for center fish I would like Boraras Brigittae, but I am not sure how many? Don't want to overstock and cause my own algae problems, but I still want to create a beautiful red 'school'?

So, a bit later and upgraded the light for a Twinstar light. Also got the surface skimmer, which goes on-off on timer a few times a day for 30 mins.
Added 5 nerites, 5 Amano's, cherry shrimp and since today.
Removed the Pinnatifida since it was still partly in non-aquatic form, trimmed the submersed parts of and put it in tank again.

Started dosing with Tropica Specialized nutrition (1 pump a day) , CO2 on from 7.00-16.00 and 1 bubble per second and drop checker lime-green with 30bpm solution, light on from 9.00-16.30 now.
Water change every other day from now on for about 30-40%, until this week I did daily water changes.

I'm seeing a little bit of green spot algae forming on the Anubis and buces leaves on the right side of the tank. Diatomes still a bit visible, especially on sand and glass.
What to do about the green spot algae in particular? I'm afraid it will take over all plants. I'm not to scared for the diatoms as I've had that in every new tank and they will disappear in a few weeks, probably.

IMG-0485.jpg

IMG-0486.jpg

IMG-0512.jpg

Okay, little update. Diatoms starting to disappear a bit, found little bits of green algae but Amano's are taking care of that as it seems. Green spot algae still present on older leaves of Buce and Anubias, hoping it won't spread that much and will be eaten by the nerite's eventually.

Plants are growing fine. Fish are doing great.
I'm still thinking of changing some things to make it look better. Now I started to think I could possibly remove the Colorado sand, put in some AS powder and let a carpet grown in? Maybe Eleocharis or HC Cuba? Not sure about this as it would possibly make things appear very 'busy'?
Maybe I should remove the microsorum pteropus narrow and mini so the eleocharis vivipara and cryptocoryne balansae will be more visible and than with some carpet plants and mid-ground plants to make a better transition?

Tips and advice still welcome

IMG_0515.jpg

lovely little tank this, really like the dimensions of the scapers tanks and the plant choice/lay out really suits.

Nice looking tank, well done 👍🏻

Can I ask, how have you modified the Oase filter with both matrix and purigen? I have the same filter and would be interested to know what you’ve done with it.

lovely little tank this, really like the dimensions of the scapers tanks and the plant choice/lay out really suits.

Thanks! Feels good hearing this once haha. Still very unsure about everything and since it's my first one I'm wanting to rescape almost everyday..

Nice looking tank, well done 👍🏻

Can I ask, how have you modified the Oase filter with both matrix and purigen? I have the same filter and would be interested to know what you’ve done with it.
Thank you!
First I removed the sponge around the intake of the propeller. This makes more free space and I cut that medium sponge in a way the part without holes could be placed in the bottom, after the compartment with the coarse sponge.
After that I removed the last compartment divider so the last two chambers (the middle one and the one with the build-in heater) became one. So, on the bottom there is the medium sponge which was previously around the propeller intake. Above this I placed fine filter mesh, did the same around the heater tunnel at the base. Above that I just placed Seachem matrix and on top of that I placed the small Seachem purigen bag.
This also makes more sense filtration-wise: coarse foam, medium foam, fine/polishing, biological, 'chemical'. Instead of medium foam at the end..

I think I'll be changing this a bit. I think I'll cut up the coarse sponge in the first compartment, place the medium one below it and fine filter mesh or fine foam underneath it. It feels quite unnecessary to have a whole compartment filled with coarse foam..
This makes the fused last compartments available for just biological and purigen. I already have + 600ml matrix in it, but think I'll be able to put like + 750ml matrix in it after this.

@Molder Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I currently just have matrix in a couple of filter bags in the last compartment with the heater but I may just adopt your idea, I like it.

Just to confirm, the medium sponge that you cut is still just in what was the central section or have you extended the sponge (with the cut offs) up to the heater tunnel?

Cheers

This is a lovely little tank like the island composition good detailing around the base and nice plant choices definitely a good upgrade on the light mate and looks like nice growth for what about 6 weeks good job
Dont rescape let it grow in

:banhappy:
@Molder Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I currently just have matrix in a couple of filter bags in the last compartment with the heater but I may just adopt your idea, I like it.

Just to confirm, the medium sponge that you cut is still just in what was the central section or have you extended the sponge (with the cut offs) up to the heater tunnel?

Cheers

The medium sponge is only still in the central section, on the bottom. As that is where the water first comes after traveling through the coarse sponge. I just cut it below the propeller intake hole.

This is a lovely little tank like the island composition good detailing around the base and nice plant choices definitely a good upgrade on the light mate and looks like nice growth for what about 6 weeks good job
Dont rescape let it grow in

Thank you! Will try to suppress my urges.
I'm also fairly happy by the upgrade, but still think I should've gone for the Twinstar S version. Plants are doing great anyway, so maybe I should stop thinking that.

The S is a better light IMO but for that size tank it would probs be too much and cause you some issues there fore I think you did the right thing

Hi,
did you change this scape at all?
I really like it as it is, the sand and grading stones/gravel have a natural look with the hardscape and plant choices and overall it has a very good shape.
Would love to see an update.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back