• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Big plant suggestions needed please

EA James

Morning all,
I’d like some suggestions for a large plant for my tank, they’ll be in plastic pond pots filled with tropica soil at the back hidden behind hardscape.
Tank is an Evolution Aqua 1200, 4 foot long and 70cm tall so I’d like something that reaches the surface or near enough.
I’d also like something low maintenance and hardy.
I like hygrophilia polysperma but I think this would need regular trimming, I’d prefer something like a large sword for example, all stem then big up top.
Water is moderately hard, ph 7.5
Lighting Fluval aquasky 7 hours a day
Thank you all in advance

In terms of size crinums (calamistratum or thaianum) are always my preferred choice, others can be barclaya or some aponogetons - depending on what look you want to achieve. Generally bulb plants get quite large in size.

Another really striking one is Cryptocoryne crispatula v. balansae.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I’d like some suggestions for a large plant for my tank, they’ll be in plastic pond pots filled with tropica soil at the back hidden behind hardscape. Tank is an Evolution Aqua 1200, 4 foot long and 70cm tall so I’d like something that reaches the surface or near enough.
@Witcher suggestion of Crinum or Aponogeton would be a good choice, <"Aponogeton boivinianus"> or <"A. ulvaceus"> would do, if you could find them.

I'm not sure <"Echinodrus "Ozelot"> will grow quite as big as you want, but it is a good plant and has the look you like. @Filip Krupa should be able to advise you about big Amazon Swords, he has some monsters <"in his 2,000L tank">.

20190406_152025-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

I have a soft spot for Limnophila sessiliflora, it's super easy growing but needs a tall tank and steady water from my experience. 70CM to me sounds like you'd get the very best out of it.

Some crypts can get pretty tall. :) A well-known one is C. usteriana and in my experience even in low tech once established its a relatively fast grower as well.
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/cryptocoryne-usteriana

C. Balansae grows equally big but with narrower leaves.

I guess the Champion amongst the Crypts is the C. aponogetifolia.

https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/cryptocoryne-aponogetifolia

At the flow grow database you can filter your search on Height with a slider at the LHS.
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants?filter[height][min]=100&searchCharacter=c

@Witcher suggestion of Crinum or Aponogeton would be a good choice,
Aponogeton species is what I'd go for too, lovely plants, and not used nearly enough. Some flower quite readily in the aquarium too, many with scented flowers.

A. natans/A. ulvaceus hybrid, possibly...
8bf5c633278a6bd9d595cfdd5462e468-jpg.jpg

Many more examples on Google, Aponogeton inflorescence

I'm not sure <"Echinodrus "Ozelot"> will grow quite as big as you want,

I have several varieties, they dont come close to my e. cordifoliuses in size.

I could also suggest ludwigia glandulosa, it grows very large with solid thick stems.

I have Echinodorus cordifolius but it gets its leaves above the water it gets around 80cm in hight.. I also have Echinodorus uruguayensis this gets more thinner longer leaves below the water line but here it gets around 40cm.. In a journal from @zozo he has Enchinodorus Kleiner bar above the water level growing en flowering..

I could also suggest ludwigia glandulosa, it grows very large with solid thick stems.[/QUOTE]

Afternoon, just been going through all these comments and I love this! would this require co2?
Cheers, James

Afternoon, just been going through all these comments and I love this! would this require co2?

Hi James,

I believe to get the large thick stems and deep red colour, youre best using co2.
Ive no experience of growing it without, but would guess that they grow looking more like other ludwigias.

All the best
Fil

Back