• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY 90cm aquarium cabinet ADA style

I don't have any pictures of my feet.
I installed some diy led lights inside as well
IMG_20190316_172829.jpg

Hello all, i started with my first ever wood project, building one of these ADA 90p inspired cabinets with 18mm plywood. I got a lot of info and inspiration from this thread, and based my build of this, so thank you for that!

My problem is that my plywood is bending/warping/cuppin. I hoped that it would fall in place when assembled/added weight of the aquarium on top, but it doesn't seem so.

What would you do? I've read that you can moisten the boards to straighten it out. Would you disassemble the cabinet and moisten it, or do it assembled? Also the doors are warped as well. Is there anyway to fix this permanently?

Do you have any other ideas as of what could be done to fix the problem? I've added a picture with explained arrows in which directions it cups. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 557
Hello all, i started with my first ever wood project, building one of these ADA 90p inspired cabinets with 18mm plywood. I got a lot of info and inspiration from this thread, and based my build of this, so thank you for that!

My problem is that my plywood is bending/warping/cuppin. I hoped that it would fall in place when assembled/added weight of the aquarium on top, but it doesn't seem so.

What would you do? I've read that you can moisten the boards to straighten it out. Would you disassemble the cabinet and moisten it, or do it assembled? Also the doors are warped as well. Is there anyway to fix this permanently?

Do you have any other ideas as of what could be done to fix the problem? I've added a picture with explained arrows in which directions it cups. Thank you
You could fit 6 adjustable feet, allowing you to level the bottom panel out which should correct the warping. I would also fit a back panel asap, as that stand is currently it doesn't have any lateral strength.

You could fit 6 adjustable feet, allowing you to level the bottom panel out which should correct the warping. I would also fit a back panel asap, as that stand is currently it doesn't have any lateral strength.
Thank you for a quick answer! I should have mentioned that i plan on adding a back panel, i just temporarily put the aquarium on to try and force the plywood flat. Didn't work. My carpenter friend said that with the aquarium filled, the weight would level it out, but that sounds dangerous with risks of the aquarium breaking.

Sorry i'm not sure i understand your solution, why would feet make all the plywood boards more flat? :)

Last edited:
The back and front top pannels are what give the stand its strength and hold ot all rigid. Hope u sorted it

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Also taken inspiration and joined the tank building gang!

Mine is L600 W400 H650mm

I've taken advantage of the work lappy as I'm working from home and designed it in catia.

Haven't decided whether to build it in moisture resistant MDF or marine ply. There's a small shelf but also thought it could be a triangular version in the corner.

I found some decent load rated feet and a highly rated cutting service locally as our DIY stores don't have one.

Sorry for the pics as the phone always does this when snapping the LCD screen

f201cc9596bfe807278b6f2661e0329c.jpg
f79e1d7f3da8068f82f3943a4f2b71db.jpg
9f5630be36cb2d18d8e0ba31861dd166.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm just painting my stand and the top has developed a slight bow on half of the top. It's bowing downwards. Not much maybe the width of a couple playing cards. What is my best option to fix it? I could start over, it's not perfect to could be a good lesson. Or put a 2x2 under the top to force it flat? Or slap a second piece of 18mm ply on top and glue it to the existing one. I was going to use a foam mat as well, not srue if that would be ok to compensate for the slight bowing. Also one of the sides is bowed in 2-3 mm, will that cause a problem over time? It's been over 30 deg C and really humid so I think it warped it before I could get paint on it.

Any thoughts we be appreciated.

Hi there

Call me silly but you seem to have allowed 10mm for the door and front piece over the other sides - is that right? 150mm + 590mm = 740mm? The sides of 714mm high plus the top and bottom 36mm that’s 750mm right?

I get the fact your need more room - but that seems a little spacious vs your pics that look much tighter :)

Sorry if I’m wrong somewhere there.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just planning my own cabinet stand build and found the information here very useful, thanks for posting in such detail!

That is a great aquascape!

Thanks for the stand build as well, super helpful.

amere d

This would be one of the best DIY I have seen for many years. I think I am fully qualified in saying that reason being I am a retired Cabinet Maker I also taught Cabinet Making Apprentices and secondary students for a total of 46 years.

Here is a little tip when drilling a deep hole to the same depth its fool proof and perfect every time. Drill a hole through a round piece of timber. When drilling place the piece of wood over the drill and up to the chuck so the drill bit is exposed to the depth you require.

That is something I learnt over 60 years ago (that is not a typo)

Keith:wave::wave:

Your method also prevents tear out. when ever I drill into wood that will be presentation side out I always put a piece of scrap over it. Unless I have an expensive and sharp forstner bit in a drill press.

A counter sink set like below also prevents splitting the ply wood and you can set the collar depth such that it never goes too deep. When you screw into the through the panel into the other plywood on end, without a pilot hole you will often de-laminate it if it isn't very high quality wood. Theres often voids in the inner laminations, in which case you'll have a blow out. Screwing into the end of the plywood is a pretty weak joinery. But its not something you would know inherently.

Amazon product ASIN B00J4NGQVG
For better fastening you could use a Kreg pocket joinery kit. it works really well with plywood since the screws come in at an angle through multiple laminations and then all your joinery is hidden and you dont have to turn yourself into an auto-body shop =)

The OP did a very nice job with limited tools. Im not at all trying to throw shade, just if anyone else does it there are better ways of ensureing the final product has more rigidity. If I were OP I would probably add throw some additional bracing by glueing some 1/4 round on all the inner angles unless they are already painted which it looks like there is.

Last edited:
Appreciate such a thorough walkthrough! Got to try this myself.

For those who also want to just use a simple plank (solid wood), you can grab some "industrial" table legs that rate up to 300-350lbs (approx 135-150kgs) online for 30 USD. Been holding my 20G without any flex for over a year!

Back