• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

here we go....in the deep end

brokeLad

Hi,

I've been posting in some discussions mainly getting advice for my first tank and it was suggested that I start a journal...so here it is.

I'll back track to the start when I purchased an 140L tank, external filter etc...pretty standard stuff but my first challenge was to make a stand, I don't like most commercial cabinets and the ones I do like are mega money. So I picked up some info on You Tube and built a stand........more to follow.

IMG_8021.JPG

Stand looks very...rustic lol
I had that light keep an eye on it mine got full of water (condensation) within 2 weeks and stopped working

Hi,

Yes I was reading your journal, tanks looking good well done!
It's the APS tank......I'm pleased with it, very little bowing so 8mm glass seems sturdy enough (fingers crossed). Thanks for the tip about the light, I may rise it up higher to reduce light and prevent condensation.....I did buy a dimmer/timer for it but it doesn't work....I would like to reduce the brightness.

I have the APS external filter too........mines running quietly at the moment!!

cheers

This is going back about two weeks when I was testing hardscape....and then I decided to bite the bullet as I had been storing plants for over a week and we were in lockdown and I wanted to move things along.........bearing in mind I have had the tank over 6 weeks!
IMG_8091.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8153.JPG
    IMG_8153.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
IMG_8155.JPG planted!

Hygrophilia siamesis 53B
Limnophila heterophylla
Microsorum pteropus
Hygrophila corymbosa Thailand
java moss

Hi,

Yes I was reading your journal, tanks looking good well done!
It's the APS tank......I'm pleased with it, very little bowing so 8mm glass seems sturdy enough (fingers crossed). Thanks for the tip about the light, I may rise it up higher to reduce light and prevent condensation.....I did buy a dimmer/timer for it but it doesn't work....I would like to reduce the brightness.

I have the APS external filter too........mines running quietly at the moment!!

cheers
I haven’t got a clue how you’ve managed to get your filter quiet, I despise mine it’s like having a lawnmower in the corner of the room constantly. Iv tried all sorts to quiet it down, more media, different media, more foam, less foam, everything I can think of but nothing works

I haven’t got a clue how you’ve managed to get your filter quiet, I despise mine it’s like having a lawnmower in the corner of the room constantly. Iv tried all sorts to quiet it down, more media, different media, more foam, less foam, everything I can think of but nothing works
Maybe try cleaning the impeller or even lubing the bad boy?

I remember a few years now getting the first of three 2000APS Externals .Think I overdid it didn't need three but the price so good. They came with very little in the way of media and no sponge but like kind of polyfilter mats for each tray. Bioballs and ceramic tubes and act.carbon. Leaves a lot of space in each basket. Maybe that why they supply it like that less media =quieter more efficient? Agree about impeller and seal check do that every filter clean Wouldnt say mines that noisy but cant compare to another. Maybe just got use to it

I took the impeller out on this weeks maintenance, a bit of dirt on the end which I washed off but it’s no better in fact after emptying it out and cleaning it’s worse

Oh, annoying. I’ve sat mine on some hard foam to stop vibration on wooden floor but it seems like your noise is internal?

I've moved this post from another thread, to keep stuff orderly:
Hi,
My tanks a week old (I started a journal if you fancy more info) and so far so good!

it’s my first tank so a steep learning curve as expected and my plants are still going and I don’t have any algae except a fine film on the glass which I have cleaned today and maybe some on the leaves of my
Hygrophila corymbosa Thailand.

My main concern is some leaves on my Hygrophila corymbosa Thailand are turning brown and dying off but there are new shoots and I’m not sure if I should cut off the dying leaves and if so at what point to cut. Below is a close up photo if anyone fancies giving some advice it would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
0bc75cfc-c8ac-48a7-8552-b8f22c6e2e62-jpeg.jpg

Algae is getting worse so I’m thinking of taping over some of the leds on my light to reduce power. It’s an all pond solutions
PLED-710

• Dimensions: 710 x 63 x 15mm
  • Tank Width: 710 – 950mm
  • Max Tank Rim Size: < 12mm
  • Voltage: 220V / 50Hz
  • Power: 26w
  • Temperature: 7500K
I don’t know if this is a particularly powerful light? I don’t know enough about electronics! I have recently cut from 6hrs to 5hrs of light a day. Any help would be really appreciated.

What are your tank dimensions?

How many LEDs in the fixture for the 26W?

Email/call APS and ask what LEDs are used in the fixture - it’s not random chance so they do have that information

Aquarium details?
- maintenance routine
- temp
- photoperiod
- sunlight
- fertilizers - water column, root tabs

Back