• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Different Lilaeopsis Plants & Helanthium Tenellum

Tankless

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the S.Repens within a part of my tank as it grows to thick making access to the lower leaves difficult. Can anyone tell me the difference between the following three:
1. Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
2. Lilaeopsis Mauritiana
3. Lilaeopsis Novar-zelandiae
4. Helanthium Tenellum

Which is the easiest to grow?

Last edited:
Lilaeopsis are easier to grow than helanthium rebellion in my experience. I’ve personally not experienced the three varieties you mention though, just Novae-zelandiae

Can only comment on two

Helanthium Tenellum 'green' easy and can be very aggressive and soon take over the tank esp with CO2 injection

Helanthium Tenellum 'brown' not as aggressive as its 'green cousin'

Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis aka micro swords -not as aggressive as Helanthium Tenellum 'green'

I have a carpet of Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis ,Eleocharis acicularis aka Mini hair grass and Helanthium Tenellum 'brown' which IMO work well together.

I've read that lilaeopsis Mauritiana is easier to grow than brasiliensis. Does anyone have any images that they could share? I'd like to see the size of each blades. I wouldn't want something as thin as dwarf hair grass or as thick as dwarf sagittaria.

Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis is one of the easiest grassy plants i ever grew, it even survives frost outdoors... I have no personal experience with the other Lilaeopsis but from pictures, it looks like the other 2 grow a tad taller.

Helanthium tenellum (green) parvullum (Also named the broadleaf variety) is the North American variety from the Helanthium tenellum tenellum from South America.
The parvullum is a tad easier and smaller that the tenellum.. I'm currently growing the H.t. parvullum and in my case with what i provide, it is way more difficult and much slower than the Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis.

I guess this might be something very relative to temperature and light intensity and likely other parameters such as CO² or not and maybe water quality. I read people stating this is a very easy plant, but for me, it seems not to be. I can only guess why... :)

Tho, i grew it decades ago like a champion in rock hard water.. Now i have relative soft water. That's the only difference i can recall.

I placed an order for lilaeopsis mauritiana as the brasiliensis was not in stock according to website of aquarium gardens.

I've began ripping out the S. Repens to remove the lower leaves. In my previous low tech tank the growth was more vertical rather than creeping across the substrate and growing very thick. I've had a few algae problems with it due to this.
IMG_20200327_171910.jpg
IMG_20200327_171907.jpg

Back