• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Storing potted plants

brokeLad

hi, I’m setting up my first tank and in preparation for lockdown I purchased some plants ready for when they can go into the tank and I’m concerned about how I’m storing them. Currently I have them in s black bucket with treated tap water adding some liquid fertiliser, yesterday I put the bucket in the sun and the water got quite warm then into my garage overnight, temp of water dropped quite a bit. So some fluctuation of water temp, I don’t have a thermometer yet! Would it be better to leave in one location? I do have a standard desk lamp I can use rather putting in sun light? Any help gratefully accepted! Cheers

Plant identities?
How long do you intend to store the plants?

Definitely don't place in the sun in a small volume of water - plants seldom appreciate rapid temperature rises or being “hot”

If these are plants that have been grown emerse and have yet to transition to aquatic leafs, I’d sooner place them in an airy humid plastic bag, indirect light, 16-20*C etc

eg, Tropica’s blister pack plants
https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Bacopa'Compact'(044APCS)/18800

Or a clear plastic bin (tall glass vase etc) with a few cm’s of water in the bottom and cling film top, mist plants daily, open cling film daily
eg, similar to this baiosphere
https://www.scapednature.com/products/baiosphere

Last edited:
Hi, plants are:
Limnophila heterophylla
Microsorum pteropus
Hygrophila corymbosa Thailand
they were in submerged in water at the shop,

A5614A4F-0BBB-49BE-8490-6C54CBF1A67B.jpeg
This is how I’m keeping them now, in the garage

My original pot of HC arrived well before I was ready, so I stored it on my windowsill at work, with my desk lamp pointing at it, during the time I was there. Just watered it occasionally, as it was a tissue culture pot. Didn't suffer with poorer light at the weekends. It went bananas and really needed trimming before planting. 5 years later it is still determined to overtake all my tank !!!

Back