• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Custom cabinet overhang

Hi guys,
quick question: will my tank be okay with this kind of overhang?
Tank dimensions :60x50x40 cm aprox 120 liter.
the front supports are moved back a little for the door hinges.
k04dC2j.png

Run it by the rimless tank manufacturer
- most that I’ve seen, insist on a complete (solid top) bottom support for the tank (if you’d like a warranty ;))

Most manufacturers have a small overhand at the front nowadays, to give the impression of the tank floating.

your overhang is all round. I’d be uncomfortable.

as alto says check with the tank manufacturer!

The pressure on the glass and those 3 top bearers will be 2 - 3 times that of a solid surface, so doubt any manufacturers will ok that, unless you had specifically asked for a reinforced tank bottom.

You need a layer of polystyrene or the modern foam underlay between the tank and the stand .

Assume you are going to use some strong panelling on the back and sides otherwise it will easily topple over without any diagonal support

Hey guys, thank you for the replies!
I have made an updated version with thinner panelling so i can make the initial stand bigger.
What are your thoughts? still too much?
The overhang is now 16mm allround.
AYWFi2A.png
XY263NH.png
sO4yy6T.png

You definitely need a solid base to sit the tank on and the base should be at least the same size as the tank.
However you can bring your sides up to act as part of the base as long as your carpentry skills are up to the job!
The sides will have to be a structural component, well glued and fixed in place and the top perfectly flat.
You really should have something under the tank that will guarantee overall contact like polystyrene, even a thin piece.

If you look at how your particular tank is constructed, are the glass walls are mounted on top of the bottom glass panel, or is the the bottom glass panel set inside the glass walls?
You always want to support the joins - obviously the tank will not immediately fail when run on an inappropriate stand, but there are enough tanks where joins fail on a properly supported aquarium (or perhaps I just know inordinately unlucky people ;))

946528FE-124A-4B76-8922-D58BBB959961.jpeg
Hi you could bring the top panel all the way to the front to support the tank like this picture.

Attachments

• 4760A2E3-84B9-417F-9DB9-537D7994300B.jpeg
    4760A2E3-84B9-417F-9DB9-537D7994300B.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 115
Back