• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Woodland Troll - Take Four

Get a whiff of one that has passed on, talk about turning your stomach. However I think Nerites are the best of both worlds, they clean up AND they can’t spawn. I haven’t experienced eggs yet but I imagine that’s annoying if they lay them everywhere.

And yes I think any delicate leaf type plant is susceptible to this nasty crap. My hygro siamensis was not affected nor any of my epiphytes.

The moss is growing and transitioning well, and so is the Rotala.
But that's about it, the rest of the plants aren't really doing much except melting.

And the big Buce is looking decidedly ropey as it transitions from immersed to emersed growth
I think I'm going to have to give the scape some thought as to it's future...suggestions welcome :)

49664716348_4e37876a81_k.jpg

This king of scape with low plant mass and big pieces of wood are always very difficult at start...don’t give up Tim, add some floaters and fast growing stems that’s doesn’t need to be planted and be patient.

Or, just rescape this into a pure NA style, which is a very simple and rewarding style :)

Thats a shame. Some of your other scapes have been spot on so i expected you'd be able to recover this.
I guess it is in a way, and I suppose it's easily recoverable with a bit of patience, but I'm not sure I want to. I'm missing the dense plant growth I usually go for in my scapes :)
Just noticed you are in Leicester. Do you use any of the local places for anything plant related?
No not really, most have snail infested plants, one even blamed the tap water; apparently snail eggs are in our potable supply o_O
I tend to buy my stuff online or more likely take a trip to AG ;)
Or, just rescape this into a pure NA style, which is a very simple and rewarding style :)
Great minds...;) I've just been pouring over Takashi Amano's Nature Aquarium Complete Works 1985-2009; it's my go to for inspiration. I keep looking at the scape thinking replace the sand with AS and just plant it all up. I'm thinking maybe keep the hardscape as is and plant loads of crypts, and the foreground with L. brasiliensis etc :D

Go with tour gut Tim, it’s a hobby not a sentence and you need to enjoy it :D
I’m sure you could persevere and have success with your knowledge, but will that give you any pleasure?
Anyway, once you start looking at books for inspiration the decision has already been made subconsciously :p:cool::artist:
Cheerio
Ady.

And breath...
49668327633_06e550f272_k.jpg

Hardscape raised so it's not swamped by AS
49668869751_aec646587f_k.jpg

Foundations laid for a more traditional NA look, I'm now busy compiling a planting list; loads of crypts so far.
49669154672_eb5da9c45c_k.jpg

Go with tour gut Tim, it’s a hobby not a sentence and you need to enjoy it :D
That's advice I'm usually dispensing, and something I very nearly forgot; thanks for reminding me Ady :)
Anyway, once you start looking at books for inspiration the decision has already been made subconsciously :p:cool::artist:
Haha, you're so right...again. It was my original plan but the scape lost tension and impact when I added AS so I went down the gravel route. I'm much happier with the scape already. NA is where it's at :D

Think this will look nice with an Eleocharis mini carpet. Some small crypts and a Myriophylium as backgrond stem.
That's exactly my thinking :)
I did buy M. 'Guyana' but it melted, I'm definitely going to try and get some more; it's a really sexy plant :cool:

I have to admit @Tim Harrison I think it looks better already too
Thanks Jay :)
Yes I think it will make the tank look bigger then plain Rotala.. Ive wanted to try it out also but I never had a nice place for it..
I've removed the top rock; since I raised the scape the stems would have just peeked over its top. I had to lever it off with a screwdriver, the cigarette and superglue bonding method really works well.
It looks a bit sparse atm but the gap will soon fill with plants, that is once the stems grow and I buy another epiphyte or two.

49671203382_c8a31d2972_k.jpg

Sorry to hear this Tim, my tank has taken a dive as well. Mainly my fault due to lack of maintenance, shouldn’t start a tank the same week your wife has your first child ‍♂️. But I’m going to start over when I get the funds to get new plants. All my epiphytes are doing well but my stems have all but melted or withered away. Will make sure to plant much more densely this time. What I find most difficult is ordering plants online and not knowing how much your going to get when it finally arrives. Live and learn. Good luck with the restart, I’ve loved your previous scapes.

Thanks, and congratulations @Mr.Shenanagins :)

This sort of thing happens to the best of us, it's not much of a problem really. I've only lost the M. 'Guyana', the Crypts are sprouting new leaves and I expect the rest of the plants will make a recovery eventually. I'm sure you'll get there too.
And I know what you mean about not being sure how many plants to order, it's one of the reasons I mostly use AG, I pretty much know what I'm going to get; I've got a list I'm sending over today.

The plants arrived yesterday, super fast delivery from AG and super healthy plants.
The whole scape has come to life and feels much better for denser planting.
Looking forward to seeing this scape grow in and mature :)

49679808746_cd3a7d1e1c_k.jpg

49679279213_bb7639865c_k.jpg

49680099607_ea933c1a21_k.jpg

49679558513_deb9026b4f_k.jpg

Thanks Marcel, the scape isn't especially groundbreaking but I fancied setting up a more traditional type of NA scape.
The moss is mini Christmas moss. It's my favourite, the individual leaves stay quite small but once it gets going, grows quite fast.

Looks grand (of course :))

But - if I’m allowed a but - I do miss that second rock, the wood looks precarious without that supporting stone
though obviously this will disappear as plants grow in (hint: a tangle of vines ;))

Well done on the Chaos Management!

Which Marsilea did you choose?

Back