• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Tank is looking loads better Ady the plants mass looked insane should have a better flow now it's been thinned a little

That little ADA cube will be intresting
I know what you mean about wanting a full ADA set up there is something special about it I dont know why but evertihng just feels classier even next to the ea of which is a nice set up have you ordered the cabinet for the cube then and the superjet

Tank is looking loads better Ady the plants mass looked insane should have a better flow now it's been thinned a little

That little ADA cube will be intresting
I know what you mean about wanting a full ADA set up there is something special about it I dont know why but evertihng just feels classier even next to the ea of which is a nice set up have you ordered the cabinet for the cube then and the superjet
Thanks Jayefc1, should help with flow, although there are still areas that I could thin more in the java ferns and bolbitis. I still need to adjust up the co2 also as I only get to a darker rather than lighter green dc colour. I need to do it on a weekend really when I can monitor it properly.
Yeah there is something just that little more special with ADA, maybe a bit of hype, but the design and styling of the equipment is definitely just that bit more on point.
I have a cabinet on order which isn’t due until May, and I guess will have to wait for news on the filter too. The irony is any other sized cabinet is in stock available for delivery, just the cube cabinet clear for the 30c is apparently not a sought after unit so made to order. I’m guessing this is due to the small size and relatively high cost, meaning most people choose to sit the tank on any household furniture. The small tank fits anywhere and is probably chosen as it won’t take up extra room.
I so nearly went for the 45p, but it would have just been that bit too big for where I wanted it.
Cheerio,

It's a shame cause the 45p is an amazing tank i love the dimension of it and it is a good size to keep that creative itch scratched. Not scaped a 30 but I think it will be fun can't imagine going from your 1200 to 30 and like you said its it's not going to cost a fortune to play with every 3 months or so I do think it's harder to get a balance in the smaller tanks

I want the ADA filter too so am looking at the es300 with spin pipes.
Me too :D

I also have the 30C on a kitchen counter - after debating the 45P (too big) , I’m just not that keen on the 36 mm rectangle (whatever it’s called these days) but likely I just need to work with it rather than focusing on what I can’t do with it ... I think Jurijs UNS 5N is much the same shape and his scape turned out rather nice - love Steve the Scaper :lol: ... I’ve had some small Stiphodon gobies and they’ve not done any real digging (but also in bigger tanks)

You’ll have a very nice set up once the pieces arrive - ADA delivers on aesthetics

Wow you are a lucky man do they have them set up and running scapes in
No ADA systems set up yet but in the future they may do. They have literally only been open a few months and are slowly building up both stock and displays.

Maintenance day today, I’ve been slowly tweaking co2 up again also over the past few days to a point where I think I have a good balance.
I think I’ve mentioned before that I’ve always struggled with the co2 balance, perhaps this is down to my plant choices, more often than not utilising slow growers and lower lighting. I can get the dc to light/lime green for the start photoperiod, but it seems to escalate to an uncomfortable level during the day without intervention. The co2 builds rather than reaching a plateau of off gassing and plant uptake. Low lighting tends to slow the pace of the plants and slow growers maybe tend to use less co2 hence the gradual build. To combat this for many years I have utilised the timer on the solenoid to switch the gas on and off during the photoperiod to maintain a level. About 3 hrs into the photoperiod I begin to turn the gas off for 15minutes every hour so it doesn’t go beyond a comfortable level for the fish. This seems to work pretty well for me.
I can immediately tell the difference within the tank of tweaking and upping my co2 as the plants have began pearling as the oxygen content of the water becomes saturated. Due to these changes I have upped the light intensity 5% also to a maximum of 55% for the right light, I will continue to monitor and increase again if I feel the need. The fissidens hasn’t recovered from its heavy trim as fast this time and I feel it may be down to the reduction in light intensity I implemented to battle the bba outbreak.
Bba has certainly been halted, there are a few small areas but I can monitor and react if necessary.
Anyway, I took a short video and several during and after maintenance photos which I’ll share as I’m feeling better about the tank again :D

Shrimp hunting :bawling:

73FAA1CD-E6C8-4789-96F7-1E71F49294BA.jpeg

DD273CDD-D54A-40FA-AA5C-9F80BCA89B08.jpeg

6E42E8F2-F0D7-4F77-B7F3-0ECCEF87809E.jpeg

E27B28FC-4DFC-4175-A591-C98735ECB88B.jpeg

ADD6D433-8E9D-465B-9847-BC92BB9D9286.jpeg

16A818D8-0685-4CC6-AA14-20CA4F4FD91D.jpeg

7173550A-C695-41C4-842C-45EB85310047.jpeg

CC4384D6-308B-4D84-B343-CA4783188823.jpeg

E4800680-6C20-4E74-9F21-4BCBC9F0C075.jpeg

A1A37C93-F2B6-49D1-A296-285D5797AAF1.jpeg

8E5869E0-DB75-40B8-831F-D153A7DCDE3A.jpeg

96F7071C-27C7-4A50-8638-12C194C0838D.jpeg

5DF22B4A-A503-4488-B7ED-165B3E57AEF0.jpeg

EEEDDAFA-9642-4B80-AA45-64AFD66C8344.jpeg

7951BBD9-C7A2-4AF6-AEFF-0BC5196C2884.jpeg

FE3E369F-6EFC-4A7E-9E6C-F4477FF0AB39.jpeg

And a quick phone video look around the tank, if you have the option, choose the highest resolution.......

cheerio, stay safe,
Ady.

Last edited:
Tank is looking awesome

What is mounted above the tank - metal fish sculpture?

Tank is looking awesome

What is mounted above the tank - metal fish sculpture?
Thanks and yes a metal fish sculpture :)

Great to hear that you’re feeling better about the scape again - because you definitely should be!!!
thanks Matt :thumbup:

Wow mate looking loads better those buces are amazing
cheers Jayefc1, they’ve certainly filled out in a year, only looking back at old pics and videos do you appreciate the gain in plant mass :eek:

cheerio,

Nice video Ady, tanks looking awesome :)
Looks Stunning
Thanks chaps.

One thing I’ve noticed over the years is how different bolbitis heudelotii grows in different tanks. The leaf formation varies hugely, sometimes very serrated leaves, other times less so. I’m guessing this is down to environmental factors rather than different sub species? Does anybody know?
Cheerio,

@Tim Harrison has done a little video edit for the video which is much nicer than my rudimentary efforts.
Thanks Tim :)

cheerio.

Back