• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Fish Shop Tale

PARAGUAY

Was visiting a FS the other day noticed a couple of tanks full of dyed fish. Legal to sell as long as they are imported which seems odd? I challenged in a nice way the staff why have them when are doomed to suffer health problems as PFK often reminds us and anyway we have plenty of lovely coloured fish in the hobby without the need for cruelty. All the staff surprising agreed and the young girl assistant said she would speak to the shop owner ,who wasn't there unfortunately as this had been mentioned before. So until the selling of them is banned think l will continue to ask the question

Unfortunately I think some people still put profit before ethics. It wasn't that long back that I saw some tattood parrotfish on sale here in the uk.

I must admit it's probably been over a decade since I've seen dyed glass fish. I did have plenty of people ask for glofish though including one woman who didn't want to keep anything else and sold her tank when I said they weren't available in the uk.

I think what's most upsetting is people dont know what there buying they truly belive that is how the fish is meant to be
My thinking also. New novice aquarists probably quite unaware . And when you consider the natural colours of say Cardinal tetras , you can see how these fish still sell to buyers believing the fish are naturally like that

Yeah and setting up little aquariums for children they see the bright colours and want them it's up to the sellers to.make the right choice and they wont because it is another sale

You still see corals and anemones dyed from time to time but luckily not through the better wholesalers.

I think what's most upsetting is people dont know what there buying they truly believe that is how the fish is meant to be
I also think many folk don't really consider fish as living breathing thinking entities.
For most fish come pretty far down The Chain of Being - A Hierarchy of Morality...

Basically...
fig-1.gif

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think some people still put profit before ethics. It wasn't that long back that I saw some tattood parrotfish on sale here in the uk.

I must admit it's probably been over a decade since I've seen dyed glass fish. I did have plenty of people ask for glofish though including one woman who didn't want to keep anything else and sold her tank when I said they weren't available in the uk.
It’s bizarre that tattooed fish should be saleable but glofish (not my favourite but less death and destruction of individuals) tightly regulated :confused:

Unfortunately the dyed glassfish have experienced a resurgence as new unique designs and colors are now available (I’ve not seen any in the lfs but some Asian farm lists include extensive offers) ... and lots of dyed parrotfish, not to mention the heart shape version (also available in many colors)
Somehow the action against animal cruelty does not apply to the ornamental fish trade (despite many research articles indicating fish “think” and “feel”) ... and now we can watch sick fish die as even ich medications have been pulled from lfs shelves :banghead:

... and now we can watch sick fish die as even ich medications have been pulled from lfs shelves :banghead:

Hi @alto

Do you happen to know why ich medications have been pulled from LFS shelves? What's the reason for that? Which products have been withdrawn?

JPC

Rather than educate Canadian Border Agents on what constitutes an “antibiotic”, any aquarium products which include “treatment” on the label were being rejected - of course this means the entire shipment is delayed so local distributors (most import through US affiliates) have just stopped trying
And local shops that have been similarly hassled, have also given up
:(

Back