• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Temp is too high for some reason

Well worth having a go at that then as part of your process of elimination.
Yeah I'll get straight on that when its out next

You'll probably find a marked improvement in the flow once the impellor is cleaned too. It's surprising how much rubbish coats the impellor over time
Ah that'll be good. Although the flow in the tank is good as it is. If not......too good. Its funny watching some of the little fish trying to swim against the flow :lol:

Fluval replied back to me saying a build up of crap around the impella or media and hoses can cause friction therefore leading to heat. Its definitely not media or pipes as I cleaned them yesterday with WC. Haven't cleaned the impella though in probably over a year.

Hi @Mark Keetch

I'm pleased that you contacted Fluval. Sounds like it was worthwhile. The impeller, impeller shaft and impeller chamber are all worth checking every time you clean the filter media. It is a good idea to keep a spare impeller and impeller shaft should you ever have a breakage. I'm not familiar with the Fluval filters but, on my Eheim external filter, if anything was going to break, it would be the impeller shaft. It is a thin rod of ceramic material on the Eheim. As such, it is likely to be brittle.

JPC

Hi @Mark Keetch

I'm pleased that you contacted Fluval. Sounds like it was worthwhile. The impeller, impeller shaft and impeller chamber are all worth checking every time you clean the filter media. It is a good idea to keep a spare impeller and impeller shaft should you ever have a breakage. I'm not familiar with the Fluval filters but, on my Eheim external filter, if anything was going to break, it would be the impeller shaft. It is a thin rod of ceramic material on the Eheim. As such, it is likely to be brittle.

JPC
Yeah good shout bud. I dont know what's involved in getting to the impeller which is why I haven't checked it before. If there is a seal or o ring involved then I'm worried that if its regularly disturbed, it could fail and cause a leak :thumbdown: But I'll definitely check it on the next WC. To be honest when I move house, I'm gonna buy a Oase filter and keep the FX5 as a spare.

sorry for reviving an old thread but I'm in a similar situation here
May I ask you what thermometer do you use? And what climate do you live in?
My tank always keeps above average room temperature and I'm worried about it a lot
So I'm not sure what's going on here. The room temp is just over 22°C but in the tank is 25°C.

Heater isn't locked on because its wired into a controller which is not sending a signal for the heater to come on. Controller is set to 24°C.

I have a 4" gap on each side of the glass sliders to air it out a bit. The tank is not by a heater. I know the tank will produce a bit of humidity but surely not 3°C with open gaps at the top.

Room temp and tank temp was taken with the same thermometer at 06:30 in the morning so the lights had been off for 9 hours and there was no daylight/sunlight coming in through the window.

I've heard that external filters can produce a bit of heat from the pump but surely not 3°C.

I've never had the tank cooler than 24°C even though it has been colder in the room.

Any ideas???

Back