• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Richards First Scape

Even with weekly 50% water changes? The Twinstar is only at 50% at the moment as it’s only been in there since Feb 14th.
I’ve changed to 10ml of TNC complete. But I was told with this there isn’t enough nutrients in there and I should start using fertiliser that you mix to also make it cheaper.

Ohhhh the glass cats - I’ll miss them :(

;)

Good for you making some choices :thumbup:

so numbers are at 22

6 rummynose tetra
2 female pearl gourami
1 Male pearl gourami
3 Apistogramma 1 Male 2 female
8 black phantom tetra
L236 Plec

Is this the correct amount now?

Well done on the fish reduction - not an easy thing

Maybe post some photos, full tank shot (FTS) and closeups of various plants
Twinstar 600S?

You still want to stay on top of water changes as the pearl gourami are a large fish (each one being equivalent to a few tetras) but it no longer sounds like a crowd :)

As you’ve the individual elements, you might use Adrie Baumann’s nutrient suggestions (as your starting point)
(the mg/ml are printed onscreen)

Bonsai Tree Aquascape Tutorial with Adrie Baumann

DC32FFC3-F1CF-4BF2-9BE0-DC58A2773E50.png
So he suggests the amounts below. I’ve been making up the ferts for macro and micro dosing. So I’m unsure whether it’s too much and whether this is right. No mention of Iron or am I being thick?
3DE43482-1E17-48B4-BB66-4B0C5F175EA3.png

Twinstar 600S?

You still want to stay on top of water changes as the pearl gourami are a large fish (each one being equivalent to a few tetras) but it no longer sounds like a crowd :)

Yes it’s a Twinstar 600S

Contemplating taking the gourami back and getting more rummynose tetra.

Give aquariumplantfood uk a shout, they should have the ppm delivered per dosing instructions

Confirm what’s in the micro mix - maybe iron is here? If so confirm what sort of chelation is used (suitable for harder, more alkaline water?)

I got the glass catfish back as taking the gourami back! Growth is looking good especially the stem plants and now mid ground plants. BBA has almost disappeared thanks to the seachem Prime. I do have some small snails though so wondering what’s best to do with them?
668A0912-3FA0-4B31-8354-B6E201456421.jpeg

Just keep the decaying plant leaves to a minimum and do not over feed. That will keep the population in check. I only got rid of my snail population when I swapped tanks.

Hi all,
I do have some small snails though so wondering what’s best to do with them?
You can <"trap them">.
Just keep the decaying plant leaves to a minimum and do not over feed. That will keep the population in check.
That is good advice. There are also Assassin Snails (Anentome helene) if you have <"reasonably hard water">.

Personally I'm <"a snail fan">, so I just tend to remove any <"stray Pond Snails"> (Lymnaea stagnalis), but keep the Ramshorn (~ Planorbella duryi), Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata), Tadpole Snails (Physella acuta) and River Limpets (Acroloxus lacustris).

cheers Darrel

What sort of snails?
I’m surprised your Apisto borelli don’t keep the snails in check (will usually just eat the sweeet young things)

Snail limitation through food deprivation is difficult - I had essentially shut down a tank for a few months (dim or dark, cold, no filter, few inches standing water) and the ramshorns snails (that I’d not seen a single one while tank was up and running) were in the dozens

86CD70F2-C00E-4BCB-A9DB-2FE0CA046080.jpeg
Unsure of the snail type. The Borelli doesn’t seem to be interested. There are quite a few. I’ve taken a picture to try and see what snails they are. Also got a bit of green algae on the glass. Two 50% water changes a week at the moment.

So best way is to clear debris and not overfeed really as any fish that will eat them will also not be good for a planted tank.

For now I would just crush any small ones you find - your fish may even get interested - and remove larger snails
You might place a lettuce leaf (choose a more robust leaf such as romaine etc) and then collect congregating snails

Ramshorns snails are decent algae crew

Ready to buy some lettuce tomorrow!

As of tomorrow fish stock will be

10 rummynose tetra
3 Apistogramma 1 Male 2 female
8 black phantom tetra
8 glass catfish
L236 Plec

total 30

Am I ok with these numbers in my tank?

Just noticed no one responded to this... from your first post I can see you have a 135 litre tank. I always minus 10% for hardscape etc... so 120 litres. Approximately 120cm fish stocking availability (basic measure this but...) and you have

~30cm rummynoses
~14cm apistos
~24cm black phantoms
~64cm glass catfish (assume 8cm length but can get larger)
~12cm Plec

so 80cm of fish without the glass catfish
And too much with them!!

I would likely go for returning 2 rummynose and 2 glass catfish, possibly a female apisto to get down to approx 120cm and see how things go from there.

Or I could take the glass catfish back and get something in its place. They shoal well and look good but they don’t tend to do much and explore other than to stay in their tight shoal.

Back