• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic virgin

Richard_P

Seedling
Hi,
As the title suggests I'm an absolute novice when it comes to anything to do with aquariums/ponds.
Here's my very first tank, a 57ltr Fluval Flex, in the scaping stage.
Tropica growth substrate topped with Tropica soil powder. Rocks are Lake District slate.
It's taken me hours of fiddling to get to this point and can't wait to plant it up and start a fishless cycle!!!
IMG_20200215_164646255.jpg
IMG_20200215_165543635.jpg

Hi,
As the title suggests I'm an absolute novice when it comes to anything to do with aquariums/ponds.
Here's my very first tank, a 57ltr Fluval Flex, in the scaping stage.
Tropica growth substrate topped with Tropica soil powder. Rocks are Lake District slate.
It's taken me hours of fiddling to get to this point and can't wait to plant it up and start a fishless cycle!!!
View attachment 131606 View attachment 131607
Hi richard and welcome to the forum and hobby glad your exited i think the rocks dont look very natural personally, 2 large and smaller ones directly infront i would try offsetting the front ones and moving the larger right one closer to left hand one so tank doesnt look to parallel.

But its all person preference and if your happy thats all that matters but keep us updated

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Welcome! :)
There are some useful threads on here about cycling, specifically in a planted tank, which is different to a lot of what you may have read elsewhere.

I like the color of the rocks. Which type of aquascape are you planning on?
And no cycle required if you plant it densely from the get go. Just add fish slowly after the plants start growing. Plants will take care of the ammonia.

I like the color of the rocks. Which type of aquascape are you planning on?
Yeah thanks, only thing with slate is once wet it darkens and you don't see the texture as well.
Not really sure what type of aquascape I'd call the one I'm planning on, but hopefully a bit of carpeting in the foreground and a nice variety of densely planted "easy" stuff in the mid and background.
Just learning as I go
Thanks for your advice

Yeah thanks, only thing with slate is once wet it darkens and you don't see the texture as well.
Not really sure what type of aquascape I'd call the one I'm planning on, but hopefully a bit of carpeting in the foreground and a nice variety of densely planted "easy" stuff in the mid and background.
Just learning as I go
Thanks for your advice
I see..
The only reason I’m asking is because it looked like the start of an iwagumi. If that was the case I would of suggested adding the 5th rock and change placement;
If planning a nature/jungle style scape, it doesn’t really matter much as they’ll probably be partially engulfed by the plants.

I see..
The only reason I’m asking is because it looked like the start of an iwagumi. If that was the case I would of suggested adding the 5th rock and change placement;
If planning a nature/jungle style scape, it doesn’t really matter much as they’ll probably be partially engulfed by the plants.
Thanks for the feedback Andrew. Out of interest, what would your 5th rock/change of placement suggestions have been?
I certainly don't want to obscure the rocks so choice of plants and placement is going to be key.

And we're up and running!!!!
Rocks have been adjusted slightly following my first post and now Anubias Barteri Nana glued to them in various locations. Monte Carlo in foreground, Alternanthera Cardinals Variegata and Crypto Becketti Petchii in mid-ground, Lobelia Cardinalis and Microsorum Pteropus in background.
Transferred some of my mate's established filter 'gunge' into mine and also added six plastic pot scourers into the middle filter chamber.

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_093329248.jpg
    IMG_20200307_093329248.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20200307_093313839.jpg
    IMG_20200307_093313839.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Back