• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tough texture stem plants

tiger15

Are there any tough texture stem plants that can withstand rough cichlid? There are plenty of rhizome and rosette plants that have tough texture, but I am not aware of any for stems. All stems I have experience with have brittle stems and leaves that break off easily, whereas I have to use scissors to prune some of my epiphytes and rosette plants.

No experience with big cichlids so get someone else’s opinion on this suggestion... but backpacks jumps to mind...

I'd check among the species of: Lindernia, Lobelia, Staurogyne, Tonina, Hygrophila, Ludwigia, Alternanthera, Bacopa.

Will most larger cichlids’ digging and general tank remodelling behaviour not be problematic with stems? That said, I suppose they could simply float and form a large mass, could look quite effective.

Hornwort is useful because it doesn't root. You can weigh it down with lead strips or ceramic rings, then the fish can move it about without damaging it.

Cichlid digging isn’t an issue for me as I use mostly epiphytes attached to rock and rosette plants secured in pots. Rosette plants have deep root system so uprooting from secured pots is not easy. Java fern, Bolbitis, Anubias, Buce, Sag and swords have tough texture and strong roots not so easy to break of. In my limited experience with stems, all are delicate and have weak root system. Does anyone know of any stems that are as tough as Java fern and root system as deep as sword?

Attachments

• 225FD161-28B2-4505-9360-3120CBFFB608.jpeg
    225FD161-28B2-4505-9360-3120CBFFB608.jpeg
    946.3 KB · Views: 84
Many stem plants will develop deep root systems given good substrate and growth conditions, but I suspect most decent sized cichlids will still ravage leaves and bite at stems (unless you find some decently bitter testing stem plant species)

Cichlid digging isn’t an issue for me as I use mostly epiphytes attached to rock and rosette plants secured in pots. Rosette plants have deep root system so uprooting from secured pots is not easy. Java fern, Bolbitis, Anubias, Buce, Sag and swords have tough texture and strong roots not so easy to break of. In my limited experience with stems, all are delicate and have weak root system. Does anyone know of any stems that are as tough as Java fern and root system as deep as sword?
You have a Severum which will eat stem plants like it’s salad, I think the only plants which will be ok will be tough rhizome stuff like you already have. I think stems will just become a tasty snack for the severum. They enjoy quite a vegetarian diet.

cheers

Conor

You have a Severum which will eat stem plants like it’s salad, I think the only plants which will be ok will be tough rhizome stuff like you already have. I think stems will just become a tasty snack for the severum. They enjoy quite a vegetarian diet.

cheers

Conor
Yes, I’m aware that severum are herbivore, yet there are good and bad behaved Severum. I got rid of one that nip plants all day long, and the ones I chose to keep are well behaved. I have not seen them bother my plants which are mostly tough texture epiphytes and sword. This is why I’m exploring if there are stems that are as tough and unappetizing to them as Java fern and Anubias.

Hi all,
This is why I’m exploring if there are stems that are as tough and unappetizing to them as Java fern and Anubias.
Not much eats Hornwort (<"Ceratophyllum demersum">).

I'd definitely give it go. Just ignore people that plant it like a stem, <"it physiologically can't produce roots">, so there really isn't any point in planting it and it is more likely to be damaged if one stem end is fixed.

Just leave it as a sub-surface floater, then if it grows too quickly it will only take seconds to thin.

It is a plant that thrives in hard water with high NO3 levels, so rapid growth is a good indication of <"high nutrients">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I am not interested in Hornwort, which is too soft and hard to aquascape.

If I have to rate the toughness of plants from 1 to 10 based on what I have kept:

Non stems
Anubias and Java fern 10,
Bolbitis and Buce 9,
Sword 8
Hair grass 8
Saggitaria 8
Cryptocoryne 7
Vals 5
Nymphaea 4

Stems
Najas 1
Hydrocotyle 2
Rotala, 3
Limnophila 4
Hygrophila 4
Ludwigia, 5

Feel free to modify and add on the list since I have only kept successfully a small number of stems.

Many emerged grown stems are tough, but soften after transformation. Just wonder why there aren't more sturdy submerged stems out there.

Back