• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best water changing solution here in the UK??

IndyM

Hey guys. About to create my first nature scape tank in a couple of weeks. Gathering my supplies.

So I was wondering what everyone is doing to change the water?

I see this python changer getting a lot of positivity in the USA. But what about the UK?

My concern about the python is how much water you waste in the sink based on needing to create a syphon by running the water. Unless I'm mistaken? Do you have to keep the water running? With a water meter here where I live that'd cost a lot of extra money.

I will have a 200L tank FYI. Fully planted, rocks, wood, Aqua soil, cosmetic sand. No gravel.

What is the general procedure that people are doing in this situation?

My thoughts are, you are to suck out the water, replace the water and dose seachem prime. Sound right?

Cheers. Real novice here.

Hey guys. About to create my first nature scape tank in a couple of weeks. Gathering my supplies.

So I was wondering what everyone is doing to change the water?

I see this python changer getting a lot of positivity in the USA. But what about the UK?

My concern about the python is how much water you waste in the sink based on needing to create a syphon by running the water. Unless I'm mistaken? Do you have to keep the water running? With a water meter here where I live that'd cost a lot of extra money.

I will have a 200L tank FYI. Fully planted, rocks, wood, Aqua soil, cosmetic sand. No gravel.

What is the general procedure that people are doing in this situation?

My thoughts are, you are to suck out the water, replace the water and dose seachem prime. Sound right?

Cheers. Real novice here.

I use a python that connects to my kitchen sink tap where the aerator goes using a "python brass adaptor". It works very well and saves me a lot of time and effort, a 75% water change on my AS900 (186L) takes about 25min total. I would assume it wastes a lot of water to keep the siphon going because the sink and tanks are at similar heights and the water has to travel upwards back to the sink. I don't think i would be able to keep a tank without it as it makes life very very easy.

I suck out the water and detritus and then as i turn the knob thing to re-direct the water i add a capful of prime to the tank.

Alternative method would be to suck out the water with some hose into the drain or garden, and then use big buckets/drums of treated water and use a decent pump to return the new water to the tank.

I have the hovelock tap connecter but you still need the pump to get it away from.the tank the bonus with the tap connector is you put water in as it comes out allowing you to do a massive water change

Last edited:
I’ve used a python system for ages (and it travelled overseas with me :D)
I rarely drain the tank with the sink (tap) generated siphon, instead passively draining to the garden or toilet - the height differential makes this method very quick (faster than my sink re low water pressure)

Just don’t take the dog for a (quick) walk while refilling the tank - like Filipe Oliveira did :eek:

(I’ve used a couple other branded systems - Python uses far better quality tubing and I prefer their tap connector - just check your tap thread etc to choose the correct part)

Back