• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flow

Andrew Reynolds

Seedling
I see lots of posts saying that you need a good flow and that it is recommended that your filter can cycle the tank 10 times an hour.

Is that filter recommended just to get a good amount of movement in the tank, or do filters do a better job of actually filtering the water with a 10X flow rate? I can see that the mechanical aspects of the filter could filter more but do the bacteria need such a high flow?

Is a lower turnover filter plus power heads for water movement just as good?

I have a Juwel 180 vision aquarium with an internal filter that only pumps 600 lites per hour so 3 tanks an hour. There is a 1000 litre pump available which would give 5.5 times per hour.

I have a couple of Hydor 900 power heads which seem to give a good amount of movement in the tank.

The flow is all about the movement of the water in the tank. It doesn't matter what produces the flow as long as you have it. Most folk just use the filter output, others like myself use powerheads to do the flow

The flow is all about the movement of the water in the tank. It doesn't matter what produces the flow as long as you have it. Most folk just use the filter output, others like myself use powerheads to do the flow

Thank you. The answer I hoped for.

Be careful the powerheads/wavemakers are not creating too much of a pointy sharp flow.

Given the small amount of media that can fit in the Juwel internal filter you may consider instead adding an external filter. If you go with a large one, say c 1,200 l/ph you could even lose the internal filter.

The high flow rate assumes you are using co2, if not it’s far less important and you donot need the extra powerheads etc.

Be careful the powerheads/wavemakers are not creating too much of a pointy sharp flow.

Given the small amount of media that can fit in the Juwel internal filter you may consider instead adding an external filter. If you go with a large one, say c 1,200 l/ph you could even lose the internal filter.

The high flow rate assumes you are using co2, if not it’s far less important and you donot need the extra powerheads etc.

Hi thanks for your reply.

I do have CO2 in the tank which is why I am interested in flow. My powerheads are Hydor Koralia Nano 900 - I have no idea of flow shape.

I was considering switching to an external filter but the problem is the stupid design of the Juwel 180 cabinet does not give you big enough cupboards to house one. The cabinet splits the volume below in to two cupboards each side separated by a shelf in the middle. Each cupboard is only 21cm wide. Having the filter anywhere else is not an option.

Hi, I can't view that post. I don't think I have been a member here long enough.
Oh. You need 25 posts before the for sale section is visible.

Anyway it is a JBLe1502 used only for 3 weeks whilst my old filter was repaired. All spotlessly clean, as used for such a short time. Did use the supplied 16/22mm tubing so need to get 2 x 1.5m lengths. £110.

Fits into Vision 180 cabinet like this.Easy peasy to disconnect pipes and pull filter out for cleaning.
upload_2020-3-2_7-28-20.png

Outlet & inlet pipes fit perfectly in the Vision 180 cut out.
upload_2020-3-2_7-25-49.png

And flow is like this.

Back