• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ryan's ADA 60p (featured in PFK magazine) ukaps aquascaping experience

hi all

it been awhile. my tank was all super good until i spray some hydrogen peroxide and left it to clean the filter and forgot to fill the tank up. next day i notices plants has lost there colour and at closer look i can see I've bloody burn them.

never happen to be before really kicking my self about this. done a massive trim hoping they will bounce back.

20200224-101229.jpg

hygrophila pinnatifida
20200226-110733.jpg

slowly melting christmas moss
20200226-110740.jpg

orange juice melting
20200226-142927.jpg

ludwigia arcuata has lost all the reds
20200222-143601.jpg

Hi.

Why did you use it? Burning some algae? Better use seachem;

h2o2 is very dangerous, I’ve killed some borara with it once and it burned some of my plants too..

sorry for your loss, tank is looking very nice, NA style if an fav of mine :)

Hi.

Why did you use it? Burning some algae? Better use seachem;

h2o2 is very dangerous, I’ve killed some borara with it once and it burned some of my plants too..

sorry for your loss, tank is looking very nice, NA style if an fav of mine :)

hello mate.

i love where my tank is sitting but it is near a window and i do get tiny bits of staghorn so i nuke it with h2o2. never had a problem but totally forgot. my bad

also the aqausky moon is really powerful light. im hoping once the new ada aquasky rgb goes on sale im going to buy it. colours are like my solor rgb and it not as powerful as the aquasky moon

20200217-094334.jpg

Do you thing staghorn is related to high power lighting?

How much h2o2 do you dose generally?

Got some staghorn on my 60p too, only on the epiphytes...it’s under heavy lightning too (vivid 2) but I can dim it.

Staghorn i find is usually related to bad flow/fluctuation in co2. I've removed it successfully almost every time by trimming back plants blocking the flow pattern and cleaning the filters

Can i ask exactly what you did wrong did you dose the hydrogen peroxide on the stag horn then not fill the tank back up so wasn't diluted enough ? Tanks looks great and sure it will bounce back

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Do you thing staghorn is related to high power lighting?

How much h2o2 do you dose generally?

Got some staghorn on my 60p too, only on the epiphytes...it’s under heavy lightning too (vivid 2) but I can dim it.

hello mate.

im am not sure if staghorn is related to high light. it actually my first time im come across staghorn algae. i thought it might be the same as bba. i normally reduce the light and that normally work.

i thought i use it as i already got some and it was funny i didn't know hydrogen peroxide stop working after a while :banghead:

i didn't use a lot just spray it all over the tank.

i really like the vivd 2. colours looks amazing. not seen one yet but look good like my ada solor rgb

Staghorn i find is usually related to bad flow/fluctuation in co2. I've removed it successfully almost every time by trimming back plants blocking the flow pattern and cleaning the filters

hello mate. its hard to tell. i using the es600 filter and the vuppa 2 on a 60p. should be enough flow. co2 how do i know if is fluctuation or consistently? the mount of bubble look just the same on a timer.

i had to do a large trim. would you recommend to remove all staghorn? i still got some on the bottom of some stems plants

Can i ask exactly what you did wrong did you dose the hydrogen peroxide on the stag horn then not fill the tank back up so wasn't diluted enough ? Tanks looks great and sure it will bounce back

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

hey. yeah sure i spray my whole tank to get rid of some staghorn algae. spray it and went to the bathroom to clean my lily pipe which doesn't shouldnt take long to do. but actually this time it was harder to get rid of some hard green spot algae in the pipes so i had to drop it in bleach and totally forgot about the tank.

fill it up and didn't notice anything until the next day :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

hello mate. its hard to tell. i using the es600 filter and the vuppa 2 on a 60p. should be enough flow. co2 how do i know if is fluctuation or consistently? the mount of bubble look just the same on a timer.

i had to do a large trim. would you recommend to remove all staghorn? i still got some on the bottom of some stems plants

It takes weeks for it to "vanish" on it's own, but if you correct past mistakes it will eventually disappear - even without the use of chemicals. Trimming back infected plants mass will speed up the process.

I had a beginning outbreak of staghorn little over a month ago. I trimmed back 70% of my Bolbitis, as the giant leaves were blocking the flow, and did a light rinse of the filters media - everything else I kept as usual. Slowly as the weeks progressed I saw the staghorn disappear on it's own, until this point where its virtually non-existent. One of the ADA staff mentioned the overgrowth of plants and blockage of flow as one of their number one reasons for algae, in one of the recent Green Aqua workshop videos.

As for flow: even the highest rated filters can be obstructed by overgrown plants and will leave dead zones and uneven distributions of Co2. Having a good flow pattern in your tank is tremendously important for overall health, and a gentle but good patern is better than just blasting water around, forcing movement.
I seem seem to remember you upgrading your filter recently, try and keep at it with maintenance and see if things improve over the next couple of week - after a solid trim :)

Unfortunately my actual hardscape is blocking a lot of the flow, can’t do anything.

Filter is cleaned every 3 weeks.

I’m just trimming the affected leaves as It doesn’t show on pictures , Next scape will be an more open style for sure , haven’t had this kind of algae before so it makes sense :)

thanks for the tips Shinobi ;)

Thats cool i like the power strip it would be handy, i imagine open the app and just click off rather than unplugging jay

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back