• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water drawback

Ricrhys

Seedling
I fitted my first co2 system last night, it's the fire extinguisher set up with a regulator that has a solenoid, a non return valve and a little diffuser.

The install went well and it seemed to work ok, this morning I wanted to watch it fire up but noticed it had drawn water back to the check valve! When the solenoid actuated the system was struggling to clear the water out, some co2 was slowly getting into the diffuser but not enough for it to diffuse.

I waited for a while to see if it would clear itself, it didn't, however I didn't wait ages as I needed to get to work, I removed the check valve blew it clear myself refitted it and all was fine after a minute.
Is this normal and should I have just waited longer for it to clear itself.

Regulator: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Gau...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Well I'll watch it again this morning and see what happens, it's due to come on at nine.

Hi,

How much airline do you have between your check valve and diffuser? Is it a straight piece of airline? Are you using a new check valve? Was it a cheap one? Is it possible you have any CO2 leaks between the check valve and diffuser that might allow the water to flow back?

If you don't have one already, maybe create a loop of extra airline after the check valve, so that if any water does get drawn back, it will settle in the loop and not reach the valve.

Airline is about 2.5m, not straight, new cheap valve.
I'll get a picture when I get home, it's a cheap valve and has failed already, when will I learn "buy cheap, buy twice" and all that. When I got to the tank this morning there was a small amount of water on the bottle side of the valve. The system did start properly by itself this morning though.

Back