• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Woodland Troll - Take Four

If this is a transitional tank you’re hoping to move with, I’d go with an full dense carpet etc to stabilize the scape during the moving process (drain all water and pack with some paper towel to limit any “free water” - and subsequent movement - during transport)
:oops: I realize this rather interferes with scaping form

I’m glad you went the spiderwood route, it adds a nice complexity to the hardscape. Since your replacing with sand does that mean your going to make this a soil tank then?
Thanks, there was no way I was leaving AG without it...the wood that is ;)
I don't think so, I'm just planning on planting on and around the rock hardscape.

If this is a transitional tank you’re hoping to move with, I’d go with an full dense carpet etc to stabilize the scape during the moving process (drain all water and pack with some paper towel to limit any “free water” - and subsequent movement - during transport)
:oops: I realize this rather interferes with scaping form
You're right alto, not sure how soon that will be tho' :confused: and I'm not going to wait any longer to scape :)
It's pretty much removal friendly; it's mostly glued together, and aside from the plants the rest will be just sand and water.
Behind the scenes shot whilst I was working on the scape outside of the tank...

49554485706_8fe1e20c75_b.jpg

Great work with the wood and the roots winding down give a different aspect to it, giving it more depth and character.

I certainly agree it gives it an aged look that is just so aesthetically pleasing. I wanted to do that with my scape but I had a hard time finding the right pieces. The only downside of ordering hardscape online. Are you considering using moss on the rock and branches? That would give it an even more mature appearance! Great work I always enjoy your posts sir.

Great work with the wood and the roots winding down give a different aspect to it, giving it more depth and character.
Thanks Gill :)
I certainly agree it gives it an aged look that is just so aesthetically pleasing. I wanted to do that with my scape but I had a hard time finding the right pieces. The only downside of ordering hardscape online. Are you considering using moss on the rock and branches? That would give it an even more mature appearance! Great work I always enjoy your posts sir.
Thanks that's kind, they're spiderwood branches packaged by SuperFish I bought mine from AG. Yes, I will be using mini Christmas moss on some of the branches ;)

However, why is it that I can never find the plants I want when I need them? Everyone seems sold out :rolleyes:

It’s always the way... I’ve been waiting for some plants to come back into stock for a very long time now!!

For example the average UK price for a pot C. parva is GBP 4.95 against € 2.60

Wow, what a difference... I never knew! Does anyone know if invited pots can be taken in hold/carry-on luggage??

Fantastic :wideyed:

Any soil hiding beneath?
Thanks alto, no soil just sand. I needed to keep the substrate level to a minimum otherwise the scape'd loose tension.
Lord of the rings comes to mind when I look at this. Looks brilliant
Thanks Paul, that's very evocative, any particular moment?

Go on... give us a front on shot!! I want to see how nicely you’ve got the peddles to the right balancing out with the wood etc on the left!! :)

Yeah lot less maintenance slower growing plants not trimming every 2 weeks or more my 800 is 2 months old and all I do is water changes and syphon the sand no alge and no diatomes as of yet fingers crossed

Looks really good mate what's your plant list bet you brought more than you wanted/needed i like the no soil
Thanks Jay, these are the plants I bought today at AG. I'll also be using a lot of the epiphytes and moss from the previous scape...

49562369681_f1b2dba5d7_b.jpg

Go on... give us a front on shot!! I want to see how nicely you’ve got the peddles to the right balancing out with the wood etc on the left!! :)
Here you go Matt, the space on the left front will be planted with crypts...

49561931973_9a341c5772_b.jpg

Going to.look amazing again is that the Rio xingu gravel i see in the detail what sand is it really matches the wood very kinda autumnal in colour

There are some pretty epic epiphytes and mosses coming from the last scape

Yep, it is Jay :) twinned with Hugo Kamishi Natural Fine Gravel. It is a good combo with both wood and rock, it has elements of both main colours in it. It'll be interesting to see how the planting changes the autumnal impression. The idea is to keep it as open as possible and not smoother the hardscape.

Oh I like that gravel mate it goes really well together gutted I just ordered the la plate sand to go with the Rio xingu but that matches so well and I've used brown/redish dragon stone might have to give Steve a ring in the morning lol do you think it has autumnal colours?

I like the ADA La Plata, tho' Colorado would perhaps be a better match with the Rio xingu for my scape. But both were a little too pale for what I needed.
Plus the La Plata will show up every fish poop that falls to the bottom of the tank :D

Thanks alto, no soil just sand. I needed to keep the substrate level to a minimum otherwise the scape'd loose tension.

Thanks Paul, that's very evocative, any particular moment?

Not any particular moment, but it springs straight to my mind when I look at this. Would fit perfectly in one of the forest scenes. Looking forward to seeing this progress

Back