• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

One way of adding a few ferts ;)

Lol
Lets hope my bio filter can handle it!

20200209_132757.jpg

We could say shes an ADA Green Brighty Mermaid

upload_2020-2-9_15-8-59.png

so about 100ml will do nicely please, the ADA product retails at about £16 for 300ml so shes saving you a fortune if a No 1 happens :lol:

@Zeus. the shaft on one of my gyres has snapped
A couple of emails and a day later, new one comes through the post

Maxpect FTW!!!

20200211_174931.jpg

In other news. Decided to trim some java fern today.
Donated it to my LFS, I like the chaps in there, and the looks on their faces were priceless.

20200215_073343.jpg

Attachments

• 20200211_174821.jpg
    20200211_174821.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 160
Its Amazing the growth you get with a larger tank. Miss the 400G, just with natural lighting plants went nuts.

PS the Fissidens Pad is stunning, credit to the dedication you are showing to growing plants for the rest of us. It looks great in the new Pico and completely covered the Filter Face.

Its Amazing the growth you get with a larger tank. Miss the 400G, just with natural lighting plants went nuts.

PS the Fissidens Pad is stunning, credit to the dedication you are showing to growing plants for the rest of us. It looks great in the new Pico and completely covered the Filter Face.

Many thanks! Means alot to me, it really does Pardeep!

To be honest, the running costs of the Beast are not small, I would pack in the whole operation, or at least reduce it to low energy, cold water fish setup... if it wasnt for the fissidens!
It keeps the running costs covered, and gives joy to all who buy it! Love it!

Fil

Hi Fil, can I ask why you have transitioned from a tank that was becoming a jungle tank to one that looks more sparse and a moss factory? It's clear you get great moss growth but is this to help with the running cost, a way to keep everything nice an open, because you just wanted to go this direction or some other reason?
I think it's nice to see how tanks transition over time a d just wondering what your longterm plans are for such a great tank.

Hey Mort!
The jungle is creeping back in! :D and this is after taking out a bin bag sized bunch of java fern.
The ludwigia sp mini super red is going mad, as well as my fave e. cordifolius! I missed its mature healthy look.

Still a massive field of fissidens in the middle hehe

As always, make sure to watch in HD!

Now the surrounding plants are covering the edges of the moss shelf i think it actually looks really good, giving you a nice contrasting open area. Not many of us can optimised empty space because our tanks are so small. Nice to see it continuing to evolve.

Ladies & Gents,

The Beast has become a ticking water bomb. One of the seams is coming apart, and I know exactly why its weaker than all the rest. I can elaborate if anyone is interested (I dropped the ball when cementing it together).

Today, I have noticed that I can now squeeze my nail in the seam, this has had the effect of filling my pants with something warm, yet unpleasant.

I went straight to toolstation and got a ratchet strap (50mm - 8m), and wrapped it around the tank nice and tight. This should buy me all the time I need to figure out a solution.

Only fix I can see at this point, is to drive steel screws into the acrylic, as if it was wood. Its going to be ugly AF...

Since I have plenty of time to think it over, throw any ideas you have at me! Please!

Fil

20200308_150743.jpg
20200308_150755.jpg
20200308_150810.jpg
20200308_150817.jpg

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Only one fix thats not ugly IMO :banghead::banghead:

Only fix I can see at this point, is to drive steel screws into the acrylic, as if it was wood. Its going to be ugly AF...

That could cause issues too with the acrylic cracking if your pilot hole is too small :rolleyes:

That's really bad luck and a massive bummer.
I hope you find a workable solution that's not too ugly.
Failing that, the only thing I can think of is to build another...but bigger ;)

I saw a similar thing happen with a marine tank (double drop off reef) and they fixed the problem only for it to fail later. That tank had frames around the joints so should have been sturdier than yours. Unfortunately my advice is to redo the seam as I don't think any other solution will ever give you confidence.

Whatever way you go I wish you luck.

Back