• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on how to introduce co2 and change lights for established tank.

Tankless

Hi,

I currently have a tank (100l) that has been established for over two years. I completed a rescape recently. The tanks contains RCS and various fish species. Should I introduce the co2 at a low rate then increase the amount by a small amount every week and then change the lights after a month or so. The other option is to do it in one go. Would this have a negative impact on the inhabitants?

As you say increase CO2 slowly over period of a week or two. I bet you will get better plant growth even with your existing light levels.

Remember to increase fertlisation rate as well.

When all settled increase light levels.

Just keep if regular cleaning a weekly 50% water changes and make sure light levels are not too high and you should be fine.

Many people keep shrimp, use CO2, use EI fertiliser dosing and have high light levels without any issues.

Thank you for the advice. The current light washes out the colour's and doesn't have an an adjustable dimmer. Should I increase the fertilisation rate at the same time as when the co2 is increased or should this be done on separately? That's good to know about the shrimp. I'll be introducing either 10 tiger shrimp or 10 Green babaulti Shrimp after I have introduced the co2.

Yes if you increase CO2 plants will need more fertiliser, so as you ramp up CO2 start increasing daily doses of ferts.

I set up the co2 system today. I wasted quite a bit of gass as the tuning just wouldn't tighten around the U glass. It took me a while to realise. After several attemts, I gave up on the U glass and connected straight to the diffuser which worked out a lot better. When I first connected the sodastream bottle, it had 800 psi but now has 600 psi after the aforementioned. How do we determine when it's time to replace the co2 source (sodastream bottle)?

OK, I'll probably buy a spare bottle and keep it until its needed. How sensitive should the Pro se's regulator needle valve be? My bubble counter seems to be stuck on 1 bubble every 4 seconds. It doesn't increase by much even if I compete a half turn on the on/off part of the needle valve.

About when to replace cylinder... with sodastream bottle's I would keep an ekstra bottle. But really consider getting a 2-4 kg cylinder as it won't last long... and you get the gas a lot cheaper in those amounts!

Anyways just got an ide, of how to do it with only one cylinde... why not make a total blackout on the tank for 2-10 days until the cylinder have been replaced. a total dark tank 24/7 is really hard/kills various kinds of algae.
Well I don't know how advanced plant response to this.. but for easy plants it's no problem.

I disconnected the co2 system and found that after degassing the regulator, the working pressure remains at 30psi. I looked through the faqs on co2art and it states that is due to dirt. I only received my deliver on Thursday. I will try to clean if that does now work then I will contact the UK vendor tomorrow.

The reason, I went with the sodastream bottle is due to the ease of refill. I only plan to run the regulator at 1bps, as the plants I have are fairly low maintenance.

Taking it a part helped. I still cannot get the working pressure to go to zero. At 44psi, I can achieve 1bps. The bazooka is finally working properly. I will try to lower the psi to around 35 tomorrow. The constant co2 fluctuations will lead to some sort of algae :(

Attachments

• 15799829575482529884121397452893.jpg
    15799829575482529884121397452893.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 74
Back