• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 safety

deeproots

Hi all. I just ordered a co2 kit (a good brand no cheap stuff) and I'm having second thoughts before I set it up. I'm worried about the risk of this leaking into the house and obviously the dangers of this. How safe is it to have a fire extinguisher co2 tank permanently connected to a regulator? I looked for co2 alarms but they are very expensive. I know you can't put a price on safety. It will be in my cabinet under the tank downstairs from where we sleep.

Thanks

Ask yourself this question...Is there a risk of asphyxiation every time a CO2 fire extinguisher is discharged to put out a fire?...:eek:

There's less chance of that happening than it exploding spontaneously...

Which incidentally never happens either...well almost never...:dead::D

Thanks I guess I'm worried about the regulator discharging. The bottle itself doesn't worry me but once a regulator is attached I have a (maybe irrational) fear of it failing and emptying out :eek:

I am not worried either but it is an interesting question,

If the whole 2gk cylinder was to discharge, would that amount of C02 simply disperse into an average size room or could it possibly cause a threat to us?

I doubt if a small, consistent leak could do any harm and that is the most likely issue that could appear.

The chances of the cylinder exploding must be minute unless it is superheated by fire!

Human error might cause some harm ie .. unscrewing the valve from a fully charged cylinder but hardly likely to happen.

Yawn, this comes up regularly that we are all going to die due to using a CO2 extinguisher for a fish tank....

We have 14 2Kg fire extinguishers at work and no one has died, despite one of them having a leak.

I have used 13 2Kg extinguishers on my tank, including when I had a leak and it discharged in 20 days instead on my normal 100 days and I am still here to write these words.

CO2 cylinders don't explode, even in a fire, they have burst disks that vent first, way way before the burst pressure of the cylinder.

Just make sure your cylinders are in date (date of manufacture is stamped on neck) and they need to be pressure tested after 10 years. Normally they are disposed of after 10 years. I have used out of date CO2 extinguishers, I got 10 for free, only a year odd out of date and no one died.

Waste your worries on scaping and getting CO2 levels and distribution correct rather than something that is not an issue.

Back