• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beginners First Tank

I have a tank cycling machine these days. Marina hang on breeding box small with some Alfagrog 40 in and a Pothos plant cutting. I leave it sitting on the side of my main long term tank giving it a refresh of water now and again with the air pump and if I want to set up another tank I just run it for 48hrs then pop on the new tank for a few weeks until the new filter matures. If any friends want to borrow it for a set up they just bring me it back when they think they're done. Last time I used it a put a couple of beads of Osmocote in it just to add some Ammonia initially. Not sure if this made any difference as I don't test, I just wait. Handy to have though if you set up tanks often.

Thanks guys. I had three plants in the tank currently down to two. The Monte Carlo died within 3-4 days I'm not sure whether this was to do with being put into sand or whether it was the light / lack of co2 but the other two seem to be doing ok . The dead montecarlo made a right mess started to turn the water and tank green almost immediately , I took it all out and did a 50% water change and it is ok now . Besides that there isn't much to report.'

"There are many ways to Rome" so there are a lot of ways to get things done.
In general: tanks health is a balance between light, plants and fish, between cleaning and pollution and between feeding and waterchanges. For beginners i would advise to go slow but err on the safe side. Meaning: do lots of waterchanges ( these remove dirt/pollution/toxins from the tank) use plenty of (easy) plants and if all this grows wellk start adding some fish.
For plants to grow they need fertilisation (like all plants N,P,K and some Mg and micronutrients like Fe).Too much fertilisation doesn't happen fast, especially not when you do your waterchanges. Easiest for now will be using some one solution product. Others will chime in which ones.
My advise is to plant it up ( easy plants, see Tropica plants for which ones) and start with the fertilisation/waterchange regime. Only add fish if all is well and growing ( by that time tthere will be plenty bacteria in and on the plants and in your filter).
Start with this and let us see how this goes.

Thank you for your opinion, I think it is a very good idea

Log 1: Genesis

After a good year of watching aquascape and aquarium videos and telling myself its just a passing impulse, i have finally given in and decided to stick my toe in the 'water':) and try out the hobby. Ill try and document some things that I learn as i go along that i think might help other people out.

As all this is new to me any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated. So here we go.

I have gone for a very cheap setup to try and learn a few things before sinking money into it. I bought i 34L fluval flex from Pier Aquatics in Wigan, NW England (was a decently reviewed semi local store and the girl who works in there was extremely helpful and must have spent a good half an hour helping me out finding a tank). I checked out ebay for something second hand but for what it was like £30 difference between a new and second hand (on the flex) i thought i would save myself any hassle and get it new.

It comes with its own internal filter and LED lights so that makes things a little bit easier. I also bought a 55W Aqua One heater (set to 26 C), some spider wood, some pebbles and 2 small bags of sand.

Washed all the equipment and decoration placed it in the aquarium and filled it up with luke warm tap water. Plugged it in and here is where we are so far. The smaller piece of spider wood is floating a bit but hopefully when it soaks in the water i can re position it. It also need some plants!View attachment 119417

View attachment 119418

So firstly i learnt that putting water into the tank could be much easier with the right equipment. I used a bucket and a small jug as it was all i had and I made a right mess and it took a lot longer than it should have. But after watching some videos today i think i need to invest in a siphon or a bit of hose pipe, a plastic colander that can hook onto the tank and a much bigger bucket. Let me know if there is anything better available in the UK.

I also cannot make my mind up whether the water looks a little cloudy or if it is just the light on the black background? The photos above where taken off an i-phone well over 12 hours after the water was put in so it should have settled down. I read that the reason may be that i didnt wash the sand thoroughly enough, but i did 5 bucket washes of all the sand so i am not 100% sold on that being the reason.

Last thing i think is worth mentioning for a new setup is having and extension lead handy and some method of organizing the wiring. Even this basic setup required 3 plugs (two socket standard in UK). At the moment i just have them plugged into an extension on show next to the tank but this isn't ideal and i think i will drill a hole in the cabinet to tidy them up at some stage.

The girl i spoke to in the store just told me to leave the tank to rest for three days before testing the water for PH and nitrates (which i have the kit for). Then go in and pick up some hardy fish and plants dependent on the water quality to help mature the tank. However i read on this forum some tanks need longer to 'cycle' ( up to 4 weeks in some cases) and have various solutions put into them before they are safe. Is this just for heavily planted / high tech aquariums that are planted from the get go / with sensitive fish or should i be doing something else before putting fish into this tank? So far i have put nothing into the tank besides the water and decor. I also hear George farmer talking in one of his videos about de-chlorinating tap water when he does water changes is this something i need for a tank as simple as mine?

I was thinking of introducing some type of guppies to being with as i quite like the idea of doing some breeding eventually. With a some kind of carpet plant to cover the sand. Anyway that is all i have so far.

Bye for now.

Hi I’m new to the hobby But I do know that you need to kill Clorine in tap water by chemical and that to cycle a tank can take up to 6 weeks to build beneficial Bacteria in your filter some say shorter time some say longer. You can add beneficial bacteria as a chemical which is said to speed up the process.
Also I know you can use plants first in cycle then add fish when water tests are good.people here will point you in the right direction but that’s what I’m going to do if that helps

Hi, hows the tank looking now? I have the same one and just putting together details to write a journal thread of my own. I'm also struggling with the Monte Carlo in my tank, makes me wonder if the standard tank lights arent strong enough for it?

Hi all,
that to cycle a tank can take up to 6 weeks to build beneficial Bacteria in your filter some say shorter time some say longer. You can add beneficial bacteria as a chemical which is said to speed up the process.
Yes, we like ~six weeks as a growing in period. It doesn't have to be exactly six weeks, you just need the plants to be in active growth. Often people add fast growing stems, or a floating plant, during the establishment phase.

You don't need to add "starter" bacteria, if you want to it won't <"do any harm">, but it probably won't speed up the process.

What probably is harmful is adding ammonia. Scientists know a <"lot more about nitrification now">, and the bacteria that require high ammonia levels and high carbonate hardness aren't actually found in aquarium filters.
Also I know you can use plants first in cycle
We recommend planting the tank right at the start. It is plants that make the difference, <"plant/microbe"> filtration is a lot more effective than "microbe only" biofiltration.
when water tests are good
We have a lot of <"water testing threads">, where you will find a range of opinions.

I have used a different approach to water testing. I'm not anti-testing, quite the opposite, but I use a different approach to maintaining water quality.This where you use a floating plant to assess water quality. I called it the <"Duckweed Index">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, Yes, we like ~six weeks as a growing in period. It doesn't have to be exactly six weeks, you just need the plants to be in active growth. Often people add fast growing stems, or a floating plant, during the establishment phase.

You don't need to add "starter" bacteria, if you want to it won't <"do any harm">, but it probably won't speed up the process.

What probably is harmful is adding ammonia. Scientists know a <"lot more about nitrification now">, and the bacteria that require high ammonia levels and high carbonate hardness aren't actually found in aquarium filters. We recommend planting the tank right at the start. It is plants that make the difference, <"plant/microbe"> filtration is a lot more effective than "microbe only" biofiltration. We have a lot of <"water testing threads">, where you will find a range of opinions.

I have used a different approach to water testing. I'm not anti-testing, quite the opposite, but I use a different approach to maintaining water quality.This where you use a floating plant to assess water quality. I called it the <"Duckweed Index">.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel,
Thanks for you information.
I do not no much but what I was going to do is when the tank gets here is add substrate and wood then plant it and cycle the tank until I’ve got good growth on plants and water changes are sorted then add fish slowly.
But I am very interested in your duckweed method so I will check that out and may need to ask a few questions if that’s ok
Cheers

I do not no much but what I was going to do is when the tank gets here is add substrate and wood then plant it and cycle the tank until I’ve got good growth on plants and water changes are sorted Hi all, then add fish slowly.
I always add the fish slowly, once you know that you don't have to keep the ammonia levels up (to stop the <"cycle stalling">) then a phased introduction makes much more sense.
But I am very interested in your duckweed method so I will check that out and may need to ask a few questions if that’s ok
Ask away, I didn't really invent the <"Duckweed Index">, but I am proud of it, and <"it really works">.

cheers Darrel

Back