• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HI FROM SOUTHAMPTON

Glen Adams

Hi,

Just thought id introduce myself and give you a bit of a background on myself....

I start fish keeping in 2009 and was drawn to it by the Arowana

Eastleigh-20140426-00212.jpg

After about 4 years i really started to become fascinated by planted aquariums and their benefits but realised that Arowana's aren't the most suited for them, a friend of mine decided to take the arowana off me so i could start the planted tank.

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG-20191110-WA0002.jpg

This was what i achieved and eventually went for mainly a clown loach tank

The tank itself is a Rena 600 (600 litres)

But unfortunately i think i jumped in the deep end with such a big tank and found myself losing plants so went back to a standard setup.

20191108_173519 (1).jpg

So 6 years later this is my tank today...

And now i'm gonna give the planted tank another go but start smaller haha.

20191222_185237 (1).jpg

This is what i set up early December 2019 (over 3 weeks ago)

The led light has only been on for 2 weeks and before this i started to lose the grass but seems to be slowly recovering.

Attachments

• IMG-20191110-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20191110-WA0002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 51
Its a Nicrew 11w led, its a budget light at £26 but i don't think i have control over the red spectrum..

Hi @Glen Adams

I also have a Nicrew cheap-and-cheerful aquarium light over one of my tanks. It's really not bad. I've even measured its spectrum and it's OK, considering the price. I have control over red, green and blue intensity. Does your Nicrew have any red LEDs in its array? I am asking about this because, in the tank that you set up earlier this month (the one with the Nicrew?), I could only see white and blue LEDs. The red part of the spectrum is important in planted tanks.

JPC

Hi @Glen Adams

I also have a Nicrew cheap-and-cheerful aquarium light over one of my tanks. It's really not bad. I've even measured its spectrum and it's OK, considering the price. I have control over red, green and blue intensity. Does your Nicrew have any red LEDs in its array? I am asking about this because, in the tank that you set up earlier this month (the one with the Nicrew?), I could only see white and blue LEDs. The red part of the spectrum is important in planted tanks.

JPC

i don't think it has the red spectrum :banghead:

is this likely to cause me too much problems? and if it were what would they be?

This is what i have brought - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HI42IB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

i don't think it has the red spectrum :banghead:

is this likely to cause me too much problems? and if it were what would they be?

This is what i have brought - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HI42IB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Welcome.

I wouldnt worry about the light. If you've got white leds then there will be plenty of red in it, spectrum really isn't too important. Just see how your plants go with it, if it looks good to your eyes then just run with it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back