• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why can't they stay little

Gill

So son was moaning that he did not get enough for Christmas.
Complained that compared to some of his friends, it was not fair.
Why can't they stay little, when whatever you gave them was amazing and the best thing ever.

So son was moaning that he did not get enough for Christmas.
Complained that compared to some of his friends, it was not fair.
Why can't they stay little, when whatever you gave them was amazing and the best thing ever.

Hi @Gill

Do you mind my asking - how old is your son - early teens? BTW, I'm not a parent.

JPC

My sister gave her 3 year old a lump of coal in her stocking from santa (she did get other pressys too) as she'd been a bit of a monster the last few days and she thought it was brilliant - couldn't wait to put it on the fire and make the bestest fire ever :lol:

Hi @Gill

Do you mind my asking - how old is your son - early teens? BTW, I'm not a parent.

JPC
He just turned 10 and is getting to know trends etc now. As chats with his clan on forntnite etc. And they were all saying what they got.
He does not understand that as his birthday is end of November, and then christmas. He gets less now as older.

Saying that though, his mum took home out yesterday and got him a phone.

He messages me when he wants something. I if I can get it for him I will within reason.

Is my own fault, I spoiled him. As he was born after 10+ years of fertility treatment. And he had such a difficult birth, that it still affects him. He has had 5 surgeries before he was 5. And will need more as he ages depending on how he improves.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The problem is there will always be some kid who gets more
Where will it stop ?

My granddaughter was 4 in December and she has changed in a year
Last Christmas we put her presents in a big box which she used as a house for the day this year she told us if she didn’t like a presents

This is without any external influence such as social media or school friends
So I guess it just gets worse each year from now on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was brought up to always say thank you, thats great etc regardless, something I plan to pass on to my son (though he is only 6 months old currently so how successful I'll be I don t know!). I also remember having to write thank you cards for anyone i hadnt said thank you to in person/on the phone. Think this one probably needs a 21 century update!!

That sort of age I remember starting to save for things I wanted - a very handy habit for adulthood. Give him ways to earn cash and get what he wants in stages - makes you value things more and decide more carefully what you really want to spend money on. Took me months to save £18.50 for my first hamster cage (with no guarantee I'd be allowed one) - I think I got treated to the hamster after getting the cage myself though :) Ten is still a little kid with lots to learn so plenty of time to set good examples and have a chat about where money comes from :)

Train em to give to charity and teach em about social business etc.

He can also give through here.
https://www.kiva.org/

This is indeed a great teaching moment for you.

They can conflate the relationshps they have in virtual worlds which they inhabit with the real world. I think this can impede learning. I would suggest talking to him about the way communication through technology can distort and amplify: social polarisation (all my friends), the echo effect (everyone has), emotion and social bonding through intense collective activity etc. A learning point about truth and trust in on-line game environments.

I have a bit of sympathy for kids these days up to a point. Is this really how it is? No kid wants to be the one wearing the wrong coat ,shoes or a complete nonhave the wrong phone a lot of peer pressure. In our day every kids parents worked long hours in factories for less relative to today. Every child wore more than not same Also shades of George Orwell instead of big brother is big corporate power working on kids and parents with advertising round the clock. Supermarkets and the likes of amazon an unofficial cartel demolishing the opposition My granddaughter said she would quite like £150 trainers at christmas she compromised at some for £50 :)

Well things have improved slightly. Had a talk with him about his age now, and that he will get less. And that his expectations need to be in perspective with what I can and will buy him.
He moves house this weekend, and he has been coming with us when we go new house furniture shopping with his Mum(my now Ex wife). And it has shown him how much things actually cost.

Back