• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flat Black Pebbles

BarryH

I've been trying to find a supply of flat, black pebbles without success, can anyone please help or advise?

Having bought from a couple of different suppliers, the ones that arrived all seem to have been tumbled in a machine and have a waxy feel as though there is a residue on the surface. Not sure if this might be harmful to plants and fish. I did try washing the pebbles but the "wax" won't budge.

No idea where to get them from but have you considered putting them on a tray in your over to see if the wax melts off? You could put them on foil to protect the tray itself

B+M Bargains, the range always have these in, in a few colors. Mixed and black, Have used them for years. Just rinse them under the hot tap and good to go.
Thanks for the help. I'll take a look.

I've a feeling biOrb might do black pebble sets - not sure the sizing.

Beeswax is commonly added to give it a real good shine after polishing.It gets rubbed into any pores thus covering it up.Not sure about other types of wax.

Beeswax is commonly added to give it a real good shine after polishing.It gets rubbed into any pores thus covering it up.Not sure about other types of wax.
The "polished" pebbles I've got are good sizes. It's just that I'm not sure how safe the waxy coating is in an aquarium.

If it helps anyone, I found a really good supplier of not only the Black Pebbles I was looking for but loads of other large cobbles and rock that may be suitable for aquascaping use. The company is the Stone Warehouse and not too far from me here in Derbyshire. Very helpful and the different cobbles and rocks are marked as either fish friendly or likely to change the water.

Their Ebony Black Pebbles/Cobbles come in bags of four sizes 8-15mm, 15-30mm, 30-60mm and 60-100mm https://www.stonewarehouse.co.uk/p/ebony-black-pebbles-15-30mm

Last edited:
These look interesting, from the same supplier...

orginal.jpg

If it helps anyone, I found a really good supplier of not only the Black Pebbles I was looking for but loads of other large cobbles and rock that may be suitable for aquascaping use. The company is the Stone Warehouse and not too far from me here in Derbyshire. Very helpful and the different cobbles and rocks are marked as either fish friendly or likely to change the water.

Their Ebony Black Pebbles/Cobbles come in bags of four sizes 8-15mm, 15-30mm, 30-60mm and 60-100mm https://www.stonewarehouse.co.uk/p/ebony-black-pebbles-15-30mm

Thanks for the link, that's a good find! I wonder how long before someone tries to create a massive Iwagumi set-up with some of these! lol

orginal.jpg

Back