• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do water changes cause co2 fluctuation?

Yes the drop checker is lime green, any more co2 and my fish start to gasp, I'm on the limit

Depends on fish and how long you have had them, Ive had my DC passed yellow and nearly clear at times and my fish was fine

I like Darrell answer above.

Also consider oxygen. Your outlet looks large and low in the tank. Do you have any surface ripple.

Wouldn’t automatically consider that a cause for green spot algae but just something that stood out!

Fish are more tolerant of high co2 than shrimps but TDS will affect dissolved oxygen and hence gasping?Higher tds means less dissolved oxygen and i think co2 too.As a general guide harder to keep fish will be more sensitive due to the ph drop caused by co2 and perhaps other factors.

Hi all,
Higher tds means less dissolved oxygen and i think co2 too.
It does, but you can ignore it in freshwater. It is relevant for marine fish keepers, where you have much higher levels of dissolved salts.

The same applies to air pressure, the differences are relatively minor, unless you live in <"Denver"> etc.

Temperature is the thing that really makes a difference to the levels of dissolved gases, which is why fish from cool, flowing water may struggle to survive even in a well designed system as temperature rises.

solubility-o2-water.png

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It does, but you can ignore it in freshwater. It is relevant for marine fish keepers, where you have much higher levels of dissolved salts.

The same applies to air pressure, the differences are relatively minor, unless you live in <"Denver"> etc.

Temperature is the thing that really makes a difference to the levels of dissolved gases, which is why fish from cool, flowing water may struggle to survive even in a well designed system as temperature rises.

solubility-o2-water.png

cheers Darrel
Agreed only farms and high intensity breeders would bother that much in freshwater systems.But then again when the water is too cold the respiration rate of fish drops hence the excess oxygen is useless and too hot the increased respiration worsens the low oxygen situation.

I like Darrell answer above.

Also consider oxygen. Your outlet looks large and low in the tank. Do you have any surface ripple.

Wouldn’t automatically consider that a cause for green spot algae but just something that stood out!

I run an oxygen pump at night.
Anyone know what the best duration for this?

So I went about removing all hardscape and deep cleaning last night. It didn't go well at all. I now understand why people start fresh when cladophora sets in. My carpet was an extremely dense mat of cladophora. Reading that spot treatment and blackouts don't work on cladophora especially when it's established, I removed the carpet altogether. I then took out every plant and manually removed cladophora and affected leaves. This reduced my plant mass greatly. I cut my crypts back completely. I'm not too happy with the hardscape now but on the other hand I almost gave up completely during it. So the rock at the back left will be moved or removed I can't decide yet. I also have
Sagittaria Subulata Tissue Culture - Tropica 1-2 Grow
Helanthium tenellum 'Green' - Tropica 1-2 Grow
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' Tropica 1-2 Grow on the way for a new carpet.
I'm not sure I'll ever buy anything apart from lab grown plants again I'm suspicious about where the cladophora came from.
I know everything I cut back will grow in again but I'm disgusted with the whole thing to be honest. I wasn't going to put up a picture but sure here we go.
Btw drop checker is blue because I literally just put it back in and pipes are not yet cleaned because my inline diffuser will be here tomorrow so I will clean it then.
20191203_172619.jpg

So I went about removing all hardscape and deep cleaning last night. It didn't go well at all. I now understand why people start fresh when cladophora sets in. My carpet was an extremely dense mat of cladophora. Reading that spot treatment and blackouts don't work on cladophora especially when it's established, I removed the carpet altogether. I then took out every plant and manually removed cladophora and affected leaves. This reduced my plant mass greatly. I cut my crypts back completely. I'm not too happy with the hardscape now but on the other hand I almost gave up completely during it. So the rock at the back left will be moved or removed I can't decide yet. I also have
Sagittaria Subulata Tissue Culture - Tropica 1-2 Grow
Helanthium tenellum 'Green' - Tropica 1-2 Grow
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' Tropica 1-2 Grow on the way for a new carpet.
I'm not sure I'll ever buy anything apart from lab grown plants again I'm suspicious about where the cladophora came from.
I know everything I cut back will grow in again but I'm disgusted with the whole thing to be honest. I wasn't going to put up a picture but sure here we go.
Btw drop checker is blue because I literally just put it back in and pipes are not yet cleaned because my inline diffuser will be here tomorrow so I will clean it then.View attachment 129574

Tropica plants are one of the best.However if they are kept too long they can turn unhealthy(yellow).Tap water does contain algae spores.Ideal conditions will make them flourish.Your tank looks clean and nice again though.

Back