• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My hydroponic project

This project is going up and down right now, some thive and som not.
But i am dreaming of an non maintanance system, today i do eaterchanges and put in ferts. But I am thinking of an system that goes past an fishtank, and circulates.

An aquaponic system, with fish in the bottom, and plants above. An lower maintanence growbed...

H

Cyperus sp. is a good option to use. It's a are perennial plant and also grows good at lower light levels. It grows big and fast. :)

Light is the main issue in the Northern Hemisphere, in the winters day times are too short and for proper artificial light you need quite a lot to keep plants happy whit constant wet roots. Not enough light and constant wet causes root rot and too cold substrate will slow growth down even more.

This limits our plant options drasticaly without enough artificial light.

Another thing is if you use flowering plants find out if it is an annual plant. These plants live one year (season) and die after flowering. For many aquarium stem plants, growing it emerged triggers flowering and for many, it is unclear if it concerns annual or perennial species. You need perennials for long term success.

What could solve the constant too wet problem is using a Wet and Dry system for example with a bell syphon aquaponic system.

Back