• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flea Farm

I started a culture of Daphnia to feed my fish but I didn't like having a boring empty container in the house, so I've turned it into a mini aquascape.

I bought the Daphnia online and although there were plenty in the package, there were also some other things in there so to be safe my son and I tried to separate them using a small children's medicine syringe. I'm not really sure how successful that was...

PB165247.JPG

The new bowl setup

I used some branches from a bush in the garden that were chopped off last year. I'm not sure what it is but it looks a little like Box. I tied on some Java Moss with cotton before adding it to the bowl. I then held the bowl at an angle and poured in Tropica soil so it sloped up at the back.

PB295272.JPG PB295271.JPG PB295275.JPG

Other than the Parva, plants are mainly leftovers from the big tank:

Cryptocoryne Parva for the front.
Eleocharis Montevidensis in the middle.
Bacopa Caroliniana at the back
Limnobium laevigatum (Amazon Frogbit) and Salvinia Auriculata floating on top. I really like the long roots on the Frogbit so might remove the Salvinia.

PB295287.JPG PB295285.JPG PB295279.JPG PB295283.JPG

Well you need green water and yeast and preferably airstone to get enough to feed your fish. Keep a few cultures as well in case one crashes.I had gammarus come in with my aquatic plants.

I'm feeding them spirulina at the moment which seems to be working and their numbers have exploded. Rather than keeping the water green and adding more food when it gets clear, I'm adding a drop in the morning and a drop in the afternoon. I don't fancy a bowl of green water on my desk. I also have another (small) tub on the window sill just encase it goes wrong.

I doubt I'll get anywhere near enough in this small bowl to exclusively feed the fish on but I'm mainly feeding them pellets so the Daphnia are just a supplement.

I'm feeding them spirulina at the moment which seems to be working and their numbers have exploded. Rather than keeping the water green and adding more food when it gets clear, I'm adding a drop in the morning and a drop in the afternoon. I don't fancy a bowl of green water on my desk. I also have another (small) tub on the window sill just encase it goes wrong.

I doubt I'll get anywhere near enough in this small bowl to exclusively feed the fish on but I'm mainly feeding them pellets so the Daphnia are just a supplement.

Nice.Spirulina is expensive though haha.U mean treat not supplement.U can add more to get more growth though.

Back