• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mosses that do or don't attach to Hardscapes!

i have what appears to be anchor moss. despite the name, it does NOT attach itself. apparently it gets its name because the side shoots grow at a 90 degree angle to the main frond, looking like an anchor. early growth looked like weeping moss IMG_20181206_160028523.jpg

currently (6 months later): IMG_20190616_180707166.jpg

Very useful thread as I'll be selecting one or two moss types soon. Of those that attach to wood without too much of an issue, are there any particular types that lend themselves well to attaching to vertical sections of wood?

are there any particular types that lend themselves well to attaching to vertical sections of wood?

Fissidens. :) But as all mosses, you need to start with planting enough, or as it grows to force it back to the hardscape to make it attach. Because when growing submerged under a different gravitational influence it feeds from the water column in a fashion of the route of least resistance.

Like this example, bellow shows
13673142043_524d45afbf_b.jpg

But you can force any moss to grow to hardscape.. I believe all moss do have the property to attach if given the correct environmental circumstances. What these are is the million-dollar question. My best guess is keeping by any means pushing it forcefully to the hardscape you want it to attach to and wait. :)

Here it grows vertically to mesh.
fissidens-fontanus-fissidens-moss-2a55.jpg

Last edited:
Fissidens. :) But as all mosses, you need to start with planting enough, or as it grows to force it back to the hardscape to make it attach. Because when growing submerged under a different gravitational influence it feeds from the water column in a fashion of the route of least resistance.

Like this example, bellow shows
13673142043_524d45afbf_b.jpg

But you can force any moss to grow to hardscape.. I believe all moss do have the property to attach if given the correct environmental circumstances. What these are is the million-dollar question. My best guess is keeping by any means pushing it forcefully to the hardscape you want it to attach to and wait. :)

Here it grows vertically to mesh.
fissidens-fontanus-fissidens-moss-2a55.jpg

Thanks. What is the best method of attaching Fissidens to vertical wood hardscape to get it to grow in a tighter arrangement as per the second image, rather than 'leggy' as in the first image?

Hi all,
What is the best method of attaching Fissidens to vertical wood hardscape to get it to grow in a tighter arrangement as per the second image, rather than 'leggy' as in the first image?
It isn't necessarily the method of attachment, it is just the frequency of trimming. Naturally pretty much all pleurocarpous mosses will grow long shoots, a bit like a stem plant, you need to prune them to keep them bushy.

cheers Darrel

What is the best method of attaching Fissidens

My personal experience is glueing it, then start with a lot (enough) of it. And if you really have patience than the DSM with the yoghurt trick.

Then once it is growing as Darrel describes, keep trimming.

Cameroon moss..............No
How does this thread handle disagreement I wonder ;)
I also thought Cameroon moss did not attach to hardscape, however today I discovered a strand I had tucked into a crack in the wood, has attached its new fronds and is firmly creeping along the wood.
The original colony has not been eager to attach to the coconut it was fastened on.
So it seems this moss should be changed to "Yes, sort of"?

I also thought Cameroon moss did not attach to hardscape, however today I discovered a strand I had tucked into a crack in the wood, has attached its new fronds and is firmly creeping along the wood.
The original colony has not been eager to attach to the coconut it was fastened on.

It attached itself quite willingly to both rock and wood in my scape too.

A fist fight! First rule of moss club - nobody talks about moss club! 😜

I also had Cameroon moss attach to rock but this was emersed.

Same, my Cameroon moss attached to hardscape all the time, it even made a lovely cushion. It does well if it's attached with thread to wood, and often bits will float off and attach to wood in random places. Great moss.

Last edited:
Same, my Cameroon moss attached to hardscape all the time, it even made a lovely cushion. It does well if it's attached with thread to wood, and often bits will float off and attach to wood in random places. Great miss.
Will change that to Yes!

Back