• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My second go at a planted tank a lot bigger this time

Beautiful tank and very healthy plants. How do you dispense CO2 and what substrate do you use? Thanks and well done
I use the Ista CO2 setup the diffuser is directly under my FX5 intake so it gets infused into the water well and I have Oliver knott nature soil as the substrate and I dose Ei

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I use the Ista CO2 setup the diffuser is directly under my FX5 intake so it gets infused into the water well and I have Oliver knott nature soil as the substrate and I dose Ei

Thank you for the prompt reply. Do you know where is Oliver Knott's substrate sold?

Thank you for the prompt reply. Do you know where is Oliver Knott's substrate sold?
I got mine locally in the UK but I see you are in Greece so it's a case of looking on the internet to see where its available in your area

I got mine locally in the UK but I see you are in Greece so it's a case of looking on the internet to see where its available in your area

Thank you - I did look online but found only the 4-5mm 10L version. The 2-3mm 10L version was as expensive as ADA (EUR 44 / GBP 36). Which version do you use in your tank and where exactly did you buy it from? Maybe they can ship overseas.
Thanks again

Mine is the 4-5mm and they only had 10L bags and is the same price as online

I've had a prune and things still going well

85e5230393ce44d28ceada861be582e0.jpg

0e334953e3a3aed9144bea6152b9954e.jpg

Having neglected the tank for a month decided today was the day

I got the scissors out and a bit more

8597158400f9d1e1b9e534e55bd8c638.jpg

Looking spangly again

I popped into a new LFS and always wanted some carp and purchased 3 very small common carp however on returning home and floating the fish I noticed something wrong i has 2 carp and a tench !! I called the LFS and explained and they said oh he only been here 2 days I said maybe its best he stays on the till for the meantime until he can tell the difference between a carp and a tench

So i decided to add the tench they fine in warmer water just they will have a high metabolism and grow faster my mate has a pond i can always move them to later also they all make excellent clean up crew for the bottom

Beginning of December visited and LFS and always wanted some common carp however the lad at the shop didn't know the difference between carp and tench so ended up with 2 carp and a tench sadly the tench was very thin and not looking it's best but have since been feeding very heavy and it's starting to fill out

779f14c1448ededd5895fa652df529bf.jpg

Since I'm having to feed quite heavily also decided I better add some more biological media so added nearly 2kilo of alfagrog to the filter this should help over time left the old media in this runs before the alfagrog so will help speed the alfagrog.

The 2 common carp are a friendly pair and have so far been model citizens one thing I have noticed is with them and the tench they do help turn over the bottom nicely which caused issues with detritus/poo settling in the tank.

I was not happy with that so changed out the 2 x 3000LPH powerheads for 2 x 75000LPH powerheads this stired the tank right up and now having 17000LPH of flow in the tank combined with filter return flow rate this got all the detritus/poo nicely suspended into the water column allowing the filter to do its job and pull it out just ment I had to change the filter floss a couple of extra times to while the filter caught all the poo and caught up all the stock dont seem bothered by the flow ans I dont have any dead spots.

Here is a few pictures of the stock and the tank

28939d76cc3dcd7e2c03a34cf76df306.jpg

099c2006d09b4a1c1a0a751bdf00473a.jpg

92a288153f25692fd5b96202fecbf9ab.jpg

7b5463e81873086e7222db2f21f11dae.jpg

b9643c590a33b1ade802142a5a882ecf.jpg

There will be some changes in the next few weeks plant wise but I'll update as I go

That's a lovely looking tank you have there.

However I have to question the addition of the carp and tench? Both are strictly cold water species, and really too large a species for an indoor tank. Common carp can grow to in excess of 40lb (18Kg) in the wild in the UK, and similarly tench can easily grow to over 8lb (3.5Kg) - both fish are also naturally patrolling species that are designed to forage over large areas of a lake. They are also both voracious bottom feeders - the carp in particular can cause massive clouds of mud and silt whilst feeding in the wild, and will likely uproot your plants in due course.

Also bear in mind that carp are omnivorous (they have very powerful pharyngeal teeth in their throats - strong enough to crack mussel shells) and happily munch on fish fry and small amphibians in the wild, and crustacea and snails are a common food source, so they'll more than likely have a go at your smaller tetra when they have chance, and will most certainly eat your shrimp and snails if you have any.

The carp and tench have been moved on the tank has just been ticking along

f4f45cc88bd3a98d765b2f6213019fd1.jpg

Looking good!

How long have you had the silver dollars for? I’m surprised they haven’t demolished every plant in the tank, they love eating vegetation. Are you aware how large they get too? They’re a big fish fully grown.

Cheers

Conor

Looking good!

How long have you had the silver dollars for? I’m surprised they haven’t demolished every plant in the tank, they love eating vegetation. Are you aware how large they get too? They’re a big fish fully grown.

Cheers

Conor
It's a 6ft tank and they been in a long time they have a nibble here and there but I keep them well fed

It's a 6ft tank and they been in a long time they have a nibble here and there but I keep them well fed

Must have them well trained lol! Looks like you may be safe then with the broad leaf plants you have. I wouldn’t fancy any stems standing a chance though if you went down that route again.

cheers

Conor

Must have them well trained lol! Looks like you may be safe then with the broad leaf plants you have. I wouldn’t fancy any stems standing a chance though if you went down that route again.

cheers

Conor
There is some plants with a little nibble out of here and there but adds to it being more natural and if I have to replace a few plants here and there it's no big issue or expense no like when I had a emperor angel in my old reef tank one night it decided to decimate my SPS that was an expensive feast

Looks great, love the barbs especially. Just a word of warning, unless it's my eyes, but you seem to have a few non aquatic plants in there which would be best replaced in the long run.

Looks great, love the barbs especially. Just a word of warning, unless it's my eyes, but you seem to have a few non aquatic plants in there which would be best replaced in the long run.
See how they go can soon replace what ones you talking about circle them for me

The three grass like plants next to the fork like wood in the foreground look like ophiopogon japonica, you have a few parlour palm type plants chamaedorea elegans dotted about, what looks like a spathaphyllum peace lily in the middle and I think looking again that you have lobelia cardinalis (which is an aquatic plant Lobelia cardinalis - Tropica Aquarium Plants ) but there are a couple of species that look similar which aren't suitable for underwater. The ophiopogon will likely last quite some time as will the chamaedorea but both will rot eventually I'm afraid.

There is a little more explanation here 21 plants to avoid in the aquarium

Back