• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tap Thread Size for Python Water Changer

OK didn't get around to testing today but I did get a reply from Python and the threads are

Our adaptor is either 15/16"x27 male or 55/64"x27 female.

So I just need to figure out how to convert my 1/2" BSP shower hose to one of these!

OK had success connecting the python universal adaptor to a hozelock style garden tap adaptor.

I got a tap adaptor from B&Q for about £1 which included a plastic 1/2" to 3/4" adaptor. I then got a brass 1/2" male to male nipple for about £1.50 which screws into the shower hose.

All plugged together and held pressure ok.

I guess it is possible to get an adaptor to go straight into the python tap but I haven't seen one for sale and everything seems to be either European or American.

So my combination of lots of adaptors is holding up. This does make a big difference and I can do a 50% change on my 180l tank in about 35 minutes. Not convinced it has quite as much suction as my standard siphon but is enough to see debris leaving the tank.

Will look again at trying to simplify this somewhat
bd24e1fee335672ef2f7a50ee539220c.jpg

Attachments

• bd24e1fee335672ef2f7a50ee539220c.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 210
    382.4 KB · Views: 193
    382.4 KB · Views: 182
    382.4 KB · Views: 190
    382.4 KB · Views: 192
Just the thing I've been working on (well trying to) at the moment I'm using a brass tank connector which fits the thread of the pyhton then after that it's easy. Although it looks out of parallel as you glance at the photo it isn't. I am too looking for a better solution though.

My bathroom taps looks like this and I am hoping to get a Python for my upstairs tank. Is there any hope? I'm desperately looking for ways to minimise my tank maintenance workload.

Attachments

• 20170712_210234.jpg
    20170712_210234.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 250
My bathroom taps looks like this and I am hoping to get a Python for my upstairs tank. Is there any hope? I'm desperately looking for ways to minimise my tank maintenance workload.

Think this may work for your tap

. For normal mixer taps something like http://www.hozelock.com/our-products/watering/fittings-and-connectors-watering/tap-connectors/mixer-tap-connector/ and then the universal adaptor (which still needs another one to connect to the python) would probably work.

I would do away with the python solution if you can..........

I've never come across this method in reading for some reason so I do question it and am interested to hear your views.

Do we really need to syphon the inside of our planted tanks if they have the correct fish and plants in? If you think the answer could be no then this method could work for you and assumes you agree with me! (I'm not saying a light vacuum from time to time wouldn't go amiss if it needed it or use draining method II)

It's a long read which will probably be confusing in my words but there are a few things that might help
There are several things this method would rely on but if you match the criteria it could save you both time and hassle.

Draining:
Do you have an external filter? This is the most important part of this method as it relies upon you basically putting a tee inline of the inflow pipe which then has a valve on the tee leading to a thread and hozelock fitting meaning you can connect a hose up and as a filter inflow pipe is full of water when you turn the filter off and open the valve you now have water coming out of the hozelock fitting and the rest then relies simply on gravity. You could then put the other end of the pipe in your bath or toilet so long as the end point is lower than the lowest point you are trying to take water from it just relies upon gravity.

If you don't have an external filter or want to syphon the water then finding a syphon with a nice size hose and just extend it; again to your toilet or bath. Preferably hozelock size then you can use the same hose.

Filling up:
Trying to connect to taps is a right pain in the a***e and most people have a shower which would give you a 1/2" thread which you can connect a hozelock fitting to and then using the hose refill your tank. how you want to terminate this etc is upto you but gives you the option of 1/2" and 3/4" threads.

Thoughts?????

I don't think you pictures came out ?
only just seen this - my pictures never seem to come out!

My bathroom faucet looks much the same, the lower bit just unscrews & the inside thread fits directly with the Python Brass Adapter 69HD (same threads as the 2 piece white plastic version)

http://www.pythonproducts.com/products.html

I don't use the faucet action to "syphon" - low water pressure means it's actually faster to drain tank to bathtub (with plug in if I think I may catch shrimp) or toilet, I then refill tank directly from faucet - note if you follow this procedure it's important to add sufficient dechlorinator to treat complete tank volume & not just the refill volume

Substrate vacuuming is an important part of tank maintenance for most planted tanks

Substrate vacuuming is an important part of tank maintenance for most planted tanks

I was waiting for this comment! Haha
Is it possible to strike a balance of fish and plants that mean you don't need to vacuum the substrate/bottom?
If there is good circulation and filtration does this not help a lot also?

I am interested to hear people's thoughts

I was waiting for this comment! Haha
Is it possible to strike a balance of fish and plants that mean you don't need to vacuum the substrate/bottom?
If there is good circulation and filtration does this not help a lot also?

I am interested to hear people's thoughts
I use a Jebao 20,000 LPH wavemaker on my 600 litre tank. After feeds and when there is poo buildup I've bent a net into shape to fit snugly over the tank braces and just blast all the poo into it works a damn treat. Been over a year without a bottom clean and everything is good sump takes care of the rest.

Last edited:
Just the thing I've been working on (well trying to) at the moment I'm using a brass tank connector which fits the thread of the pyhton then after that it's easy. Although it looks out of parallel as you glance at the photo it isn't. I am too looking for a better solution though.
All the phyton fittings were crap for me either didnt fit or leaked. ended up breaking a kit too because of constantly screwing and unscrewing. Here is my solution. Bought a python extender kit and used the coupler from that with a hose type setup and clamped it straight over the bath faucet so now it has movement when taking the hose on and off no more breaks or spills.
IMG_20191109_043209.jpg

Back