• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank and nerite snails

Fisher2007

Looking for a bit of advice re my new tank and when to add nerite snails

The tank is just over 4ft, 220 litres and reasonably high tech, and I should add the first time I've done a high tech tank. It is lit by a twinstar 1200 and running on it are 2 oase biomaster thermo filters with inline CO2 injection on one filter.

The tank has been running just under a week now and was planted heavily last Friday. The light is running for 6 hours at 50%, CO2 comes on 2 hours before lights on and goes off half an hour before lights off. Drop checker peaks at lime green. I've been doing 50% water changes every other day, which I'll continue for another week or so before slowly increasing the time inbetween each. I'm dosing ferts and TNC carbon daily, the latter to hopefully help combat algae. There's no livestock at all at the moment and I plan to leave it like that for another 2 or 3 weeks when I'll start with some Amano shrimp

As you'd expect I'm starting to get some diatoms now and the signs of algae growing. I'm hoping this will just be the norm and it will peak and I'll come out of the other side of it in a couple or more weeks (fingers crossed!)

So despite me saying I'm not adding livestock, I am thinking about adding some nerite snails to hit the algae before it takes hold. Is that a good idea and if so how many?

I'm not new to fish keeping and the filters where seeded from another existing tank I've got so there are no signs or ammonia or nitrite

Thanks

Given the filters are seemed I would add your shrimp and snails right away. If you add more than one nerite snail they will likely breed and leave hard white and tricky to remove eggs around the tank, ensure you are ok with this first. I reckon you can add the shrimp though anyway.

Given the use of established tank filter media, I’d not hesitate to add algae crew - various snails and Otocinclus are best for diatoms, shrimp tend to clean up deteriorating plant material and biofilms and consume some algaes

I’ve some tanks with Clithon corona snails (Nerite type) and “Batic” Nerites and have yet to find any of those delightful eggs - the larger Nerites such as zebra, tire-track, onion, fruit etc seem much keener to share ;)

Just expect to add significant snail/shrimp numbers for decent coverage

Thanks for the replies. Are nerite snail eggs really that bad? And without cleaning them off, how long will they last before hatching or decomposing (whichever happens). I am aware that nerite larvae can't survive in fresh water

Re shrimp and quantity, which number do you think I'll be looking at? I'm planning on going with amano first and cherries of some form later (the latter once the tank is more established - say 2 or 3 months)

Cheers

How many clithon Corona snail would you put in a 200l tank?

Back