• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mushrooms

Just found these.
20191018_095609.jpg

Mushrooms are not always easy to ID, there are 4,000 + species and many are extremely difficult to distinguish even with spore prints and magnifying.
I have half a dozen prime targets of easy to Id, nice eating mushrooms and tend to ignore anything else or at least mark anything else as not desirable to eat.
My list of easy to ID edibles would be Giant puffball, cauliflower fungus, ceps, chanterelles, parasols and horse mushrooms .
Even then there is some concern about mistaking parasols for shaggy parasols or horse mushrooms for yellow Stainers , cauliflower for coral fungus ceps for devils boletus, chanterelles for false chanterelles.
So that leaves us with Giant puffball being about the only highly edible mushrooms that can’t really be mistaken for anything else!
I do collect other species but only when in company with other enthusiasts after we have confirmed the ID between us.

I have read the most common poisonings come from those folk who wrongly identify yellow stainers as they believe them to be field mushrooms, not lethal and indeed some folk are nor effected but a horrible few days for other folk !

I'm not one to pick and eat them :) I once ate Psilocybe cubensis that came from the store. The rest I eat comes from the supermarket my wife makes them or the Chinese take away..
Just like finding them as they are some strangers popping up here and there a certain time a year and I work alot out doors through the whole country..

Back