• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Biggest pleco for 200l?

Ref the terrarium, they should be ashamed giving people the terrible filter that comes with these kits, ordered a u3 for now.

The bristlenoses are settling well though in my main tank, they are the common spotted ones.

Last edited:
We got a terrarium kit too :S

Once I make sure its sorted will be getting 2 musk turtles,
Unless the footprint of the aquarium portion is at least 90cm x 45cm I’d not add more than one turtle
(very tempting to add more turtles in smaller spaces when they are baby turtles :oops: )

And even that is rather small for 2 males (who will want their own territory once mature)
Keeping male and female can also be challenging once they mature to mating size (male can easily harass female in confined space)

A single should have at least 60cm x 30cm swimming area

A decent musk turtle article

Unless the footprint of the aquarium portion is at least 90cm x 45cm I’d not add more than one turtle
(very tempting to add more turtles in smaller spaces when they are baby turtles :oops: )

And even that is rather small for 2 males (who will want their own territory once mature)
Keeping male and female can also be challenging once they mature to mating size (male can easily harass female in confined space)

A single should have at least 60cm x 30cm swimming area

A decent musk turtle article

I have been reading the exact same thing, thankfully we have no turtles yet despite the guy trying to sell us 2 there and then, quite shocking really for a normally trustworthy retailer.

Retailers experience high pressure sales tactics too ;)
- likely the musk turtle supplier is the information source for the shop
which isn’t really an excuse but happens ... if you go back in, I’d bring a printout of the article and hope that educates the staff

A Betta would likely be a better candidate for your terrarium (unless you decide to return it) - hopefully the shop at least mentioned proper reptile UV lighting and heating would be needed

Turtles, lizards etc are very attractive to kids as they can hold and interact with them (unlike fish) but most need fairly expensive setups to thrive ... and always ask for a feeding demonstration before buying
Many “calm” reptiles are actually sick reptiles :(

Retailers experience high pressure sales tactics too ;)
- likely the musk turtle supplier is the information source for the shop
which isn’t really an excuse but happens ... if you go back in, I’d bring a printout of the article and hope that educates the staff

A Betta would likely be a better candidate for your terrarium (unless you decide to return it) - hopefully the shop at least mentioned proper reptile UV lighting and heating would be needed

Turtles, lizards etc are very attractive to kids as they can hold and interact with them (unlike fish) but most need fairly expensive setups to thrive ... and always ask for a feeding demonstration before buying
Many “calm” reptiles are actually sick reptiles :(

Will get a turtle still but prob only one and not until the thing is cycled/ready for life, dumped some substrate from my main tank in so far to help, looking at the other equipment that came with it seems ok, heater keeps it a constant 25 and it came with a basking light.

The tank is actually 60 x 45 currently filled about 6inch deep.

Last edited:
Back