• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To add or not to add (shrimp)

84Reasons

Couple of questions regarding shrimp;

1. Is it best to go for amano shrimp above all others for help with alage or do the smaller species, cherry reds for example, work just as well?
2. I'm planning on doing a re-scape in the next month or so, should I add the shrimp before or after the re-scape?

I've never had alage eating shrimp before and have done well enough, I just want to make sure the new scape does as well as it can, and think they would be a nice addition!

Cheers,

H.

Amanos are the only real algae eaters, cherries certainly help maintain an clean tank and stop build up detritus and bio film which algae will happily exploit.

Add shrimp after a rescape if its imminent. Especially cherries or the like as you will never catch them all and have to endure the horrible feeling of knowing you may have missed/killed a large number of juvenilles and babies.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Amanos are the only real algae eaters, cherries certainly help maintain an clean tank and stop build up detritus and bio film which algae will happily exploit.

Add shrimp after a rescape if its imminent. Especially cherries or the like as you will never catch them all and have to endure the horrible feeling of knowing you may have missed/killed a large number of juvenilles and babies.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That's good to know! It's imminent in that I will probably be doing it the last weekend of this month, but from what you've said I think I'll probably only add amanos when I do, its just of course the other variations look better. But algae is first priorty then looks.

Cheers

Back