• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Attaching metal inflow/outflow pipes to glass

gregl

How does everyone attach their metal inflow/outflow?

I've recently picked up what I believe are the old Chihiros nano inflow and outflow from Aliexpress for a new tank. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32609251100.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7cbb4c4d48pCwZ

I also picked up some acrylic pipe holders off ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Acryl...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 this kind of thing, they are all the same) but they are too big to fit the pipes onto the aquarium glass. The glass is only 4mm (25L) and the gap for it in the acrylic is 16mm which prevents the curve from passing over the rim.

Currently the tank is fitted with the hydor prime's inflow outflow which looks fairly ridiculous but I can't get suction cups to stay stable on the pipe. Anyone got any suggestions?

For context
e97c346b718d1e0c2bd59c465351c8c9.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Compared to the glass
7d385019e01563f4f6cdf44adc19ad12.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Incredibly I've managed to buy an inflow with 13mm diameter and an outflow of 10mm, hadn't even considered this was a possibility and I'm pretty miffed all round with the situation, No idea what to do, hose wont fit the outflow, pipes have no way of being secured to the glass, that's what you get for trying to get a nice looking option at budget price I guess.

Try googling aquarium suction cups or heater holders to hold the curved return pipe instead of the acrylic block. There are lots of different types out there, I'm sure you'll find something to work. It looks in the picture like you could stick the suckers on the outside of the tank, holding the downwards pointing bit.

You can get aquarium suction cups with cable ties which you'll be able to tighten until it doesn't slip. See below.

. https://www.cdaquatics.co.uk/algard...V1pg018kc5zairb8lMMYrZARDnxY-B2IaApW9EALw_wcB

Is the 11mm one the suction pipe from tank to filter? You can always plumb in a pipe adjuster stepping from 11mm to 13mm, but it will inevitably act as a restriction and reduce flow which is far from ideal. Was the advert for same sized pipes, if so can it be returned?

Incredibly I've managed to buy an inflow with 13mm diameter and an outflow of 10mm, hadn't even considered this was a possibility and I'm pretty miffed all round with the situation,
In their defence this is a typical configuration for some of the Eheim Classic (and other) filters
- not helpful if it’s not the case for your filter though

So earlier this week I spent some time trying to work down the acrylic bits to a size I could squeeze the pipes around. I'd never worked with Acrylic before. At first I tried to melt them with a soldering gun but this turned it yellow. I used a coping saw to cut the ends down to size, having to lose one of the screw holes which I didn't need anyway. I then filed down to size and sanded the sharp edges down. I had to file in a little wedge in between the screws to give the outflow enough room and to stop it slipping too far from horizontal. Then I got a reducing connector and smaller diameter tubing off ebay and it seems to work fairly well. The flow seems solid still.

You can get aquarium suction cups with cable ties which you'll be able to tighten until it doesn't slip.

Is the 11mm one the suction pipe from tank to filter? You can always plumb in a pipe adjuster stepping from 11mm to 13mm, but it will inevitably act as a restriction and reduce flow which is far from ideal. Was the advert for same sized pipes, if so can it be returned?

I may still get those cable tie suction cups for added security, they look pretty good cheers.

The advert was for exactly what the product was, no one to blame but myself. Still, after a bit of work it looks fairly good to my eyes.

IMG-20190902-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20190902-WA0005.jpeg

Back