• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Kent

Sammiec0108

Hi all,

Complete Newbie here, just coming to the end of my first ever fishless cycle in a 125l tank. I've been a long time lurker, raising my ambitions and expectations by browsing the amazing tanks and scapes both on this site, across the internet and on youtube. Finally got the OK (begrudgingly) from the 'boss' to get started on the hobby and looking forward to putting all the abstract tips, knowledge and information to use. I prefer the idea of planted tanks and started with a light/moderately planted tank (mismash of species) to see what works for me.

Anyway - excited to be here :) Looking forward to learning!

Cheers!

Thanks Hanuman, I'm not sure in reality what each level would actually equate to in my tank size, i think i've got a fair few things in there at the moment, some doing better than others, with not a huge amount of space around (I've got another thread going re: algae) but here's the starting point of the tank - going just over a week.

IMG_20190820_194530 (Phone).jpg

Welcome@Ukaps!

As a 'beginer"i advise to start with a "low tech" tank ( no added carbon CO2 or liquid) with low light and lot's of easy plants ( see tropica website foor "easy"plants).
1) the more plantmass yuo begin with the more stable tha tank will be
2) start without fish till all plants are healthy and growing
3) it's very very easy to start with to much light, this will cause all kind of troubles
4) feed the plants, ferts don't cause algae, repeat ferts don't cause algae, repeat ferts don't cause algae, repeat ferts don't cause algae, repeat ferts don't cause algae, repeat ferts don't cause algae, repeat ferts don't cause algae
5) do 50% waterchanges twice a week for a few weeks

Hi all,
(I've got another thread going re: algae) but here's the starting point of the tank - going just over a week.
just coming to the end of my first ever fishless cycle in a 125l tank.
so i did a 40% water change yesterday then re-dosed with ammonia to raise to 4ppm with a view to getting to a point where the tank is fully cycled to process that amount of ammonia and nitrite in 24hours.
It may take a while for the tank to settle down following the ammonia addition, but it should be fine eventually. Just stop adding ammonia and keep your water changes up.

If you have a planted tank you don't need to cycle it, you just need to let it grow in.

Have a look through page 4. of <"Bedside aquarium"> and the <"linked threads"> for an explanation and some references.

cheers Darrel

Back