• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Little update.
I can no longer grow pogostemon in the Beast. It has fallen victim to the hungry SAE!

I found pogostemon can be a bit trick at times to grow in my 500L yet in my 50L no problems but think it likes the higher light in the 50l plus no LCO2 in that tank either

I can grow Ceratopteris thalictroides fine in my 50l also, yet pop it in the 500l lucky if it still has a leaf on it in the morning, last batch I tried it was full of amanos within 15 mins

A bit more maintenancy this week, as Ive binned an old leafless forest of ludwigia stems from the back (aka "Mordor"), it was dire!

Moved stuff about, and now have a fissidens plantation in the middle! Soz :D

received_478170946250470.jpeg
received_3317429378283198.jpeg
20190713_165228.jpg
20190713_165237.jpg

Confession time.
I messed up!

For a couple of weeks now, the plants are barely growing, and show signs of deficiencies.

Check the dosing pumps... all good
Increasing dosing amount by 20%... wait a week. No change!

Racking my brain! What could be wrong? My lucky noob streak finished? Are the new ferts dodgy? Am I failing with maintenance, and plants are disapproving?

Plants not been pearling as much. Should I increase co2?!
Let's!
10L co2 tank lasted a week... and no change in plant health...

Start looking at getting shut of plants and getting some big fish...

Hold on a sec... I half assed adjusting my trickle water change a few weeks ago... could I be pouring too much water in daily, hence flushing all ferts out???

F**k sakes... turn it down. The waiting game begins...

I love this hobby, stop paying attention for a second, everything goes to pot haha

At least my beloved fissidens doesnt look affected. Grows like a weed in the beast.
20190721_160310.jpg
20190721_160319.jpg
20190721_160347.jpg

Last edited:
Fissidens is quiet Hardy, it grows well in low tech setup too but slower and less compact, in High tech setup it looks beautiful but Can be an hair algae magnet if you use very High lightning.

You could farm some riccardia too: quiet easy on CO2 setup and more expensive than fiss.

Cheers

it looks beautiful but Can be an hair algae magnet

This is an intersting point of discussion.. :) Me too i experience, not only Fissidens but actaly all mosses seem to grow in company of hair algae and it got me wondering. I experience this in every tank or water feature i also grow all kinds of mosses in. Anyway the Aha!?? Moment came after looking this video @ 8.40 min..

I'm not 100% sure, but in cases it looks like that moss also develops this protonema as vegetative reproduction strategy if grown submersed. Since submersed moss rarely forms sporecaps. I removed filamentous structures from my tanks that looked like hair algae with the naked eye, but it didn't feel like it. Very close inspection revealed a tiny leaf structure on the filaments and it definitively was a stringy moss grow form. In the livermoss, where ever i grow it, it always seems to grow in symbiosis with hair algae, or is it Protonema???

I'm not 100% sure, but in cases it looks like that moss also develops this protonema as vegetative reproduction strategy if grown submersed

I bought a fancy variety of fissidens a while ago, and after a couple of days noticed some "hair algea" growing on it.
I though "hold my beer, Im a professional". Took it out and dunked it in come H2O2, killing "hair algea" and all of the moss.

Double facepalm...

Fil

I had the pleasure to meet Fil today as I was picking up a small bit of bolbitus (a carrier bag full )
He showed me around this beast, and it’s much more impressive than the photos show

The plants are super healthy and the production line of fissidens was impressive so much so I just had to have one,
I totally recommend buying it from Fil if you ever want a full healthy pad of moss

Everything was automated as much as possible so he has time to have a huge great aquascape and a happy family

More of us should automate our aquariums

Thanks Fil for the great plants etc and your hospitality

Ps
Nice Fridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your kind post Dean!
You're the first UKAPS memeber to see it in person.

More of us should automate our aquariums

A wild guess, but I think @ian_m & @Zeus. Would agree ;)
I really think fewer people would be leaving the hobby if most of the chores and worries around the tank were automated via PLC!

Keep on scaping!
Fil

I really think fewer people would be leaving the hobby if most of the chores and worries around the tank were automated via PLC!

But the cost of the PLC is more than some folks total budget unfortunately, plus there are lots of professional aquascapers who achieve stunning results with cheap timers, think some are also put off from the electrical side of wiring it all up then theres the software design side, me you and Ian had great fun doing it but its not just some folks idea of fun and could be quite daunting!

But for me its the only way hence I have two ;)

I can barely understand my phone! (Old school generation) (both me and my phone)

That would explain why you would ask someone else to take a picture of you, while you hide half naked behind a bush ;)

Fair doos to you Sir! Holding up well

Fil

Back