• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant tools

Douglas Mason

Hi,

Just getting my equipment together whilst I sort out the floor after a radiator leak.

I'm looking at the tools required to look after the plants such as scissors tweezers etc.

Can anyone advise me on what tools I actually need to buy and what brand. I don't want cheap metal ones that will rust.

Thanks

Doug

Is there a big difference in quality between eBay and top end brands ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know, never used them before this is the reason for my question.

Some Ebay/Amazon stuff I bought whilst keeping my marine system were very good some were poor quality.

Just want something that does the job and doesn't rust.

Doug

My amazing gf brought me Ada scissors and tweezers for my birthday and there so much better than cheap ones from auction sites IMHO the scissors are so much sharper and the tweezers are easier to plant with as there thinner and better sprung so if you can I'd buy the expensive ones
Cheers
Jay

I bought the big ones in this picture from Amazon recently and they seem pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/May-Aquari...ss+Steel&qid=1565689814&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1

C0CB8406-7CDF-4BC1-ACB0-00FF7D081E60.jpeg

Also have a look at these.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YNR-Pro-...rentrq:8aeb774016c0ad3058470ad1fffe658b|iid:1

Bought some 5 years ago...still sharp as when I bought them....substrate rake is not too useful but the scissors and tweezers are fine....also bought a set of wave scissors in the same brand they are also as good as ever... just remember to always wipe them dry when finished.

Another go tool is a pair of small spring scissors.

Can't see the reason to splash out on ADA quality/price, it's not like we are performing brain surgery :)

Also have a look at these.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YNR-Pro-Deluxe-Aquarium-Tools-Kit-Tank-Aquatic-Plant-Fish-3-PCs-5-PCs-Kit-Pouch/230987047675?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=e01a420250e643f5959e1f3a7183b89b&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=230987047675&itm=230987047675&pg=2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:a169199c-bdc4-11e9-8d9c-74dbd18075c5|parentrq:8aeb774016c0ad3058470ad1fffe658b|iid:1

Bought some 5 years ago...still sharp as when I bought them....substrate rake is not too useful but the scissors and tweezers are fine....also bought a set of wave scissors in the same brand they are also as good as ever... just remember to always wipe them dry when finished.

Another go tool is a pair of small spring scissors.

Can't see the reason to splash out on ADA quality/price, it's not like we are performing brain surgery :)

Thanks, I'll take a look

Doug

I’ve got cheap ones that do the job but never used Ada etc so can not compare
I’ve bought the curved scissors for £5 and I think the ada ones are £100 so are they 20 times better ?

I think mid-range is fine. I've some super cheap ebay scissors that have rusted.

They prods are 20 times better they definitely feel like there going to last a lot longer than the cheaper ones from auction sites but only time will tell I guess
Cheers
Jay

I’d say it all depends on how often you use them
Maybe the £100 stay sharper longer which is a bonus if you use them daily in your job
But for mere mortals who tinker weekly or fortnightly then I’m sure the cheapo ones are good enough

I’d compare it to average Joe buying a £5 trowel to build a bbq and a bricklayer paying £100 for his
They both do the job but the £100 one will be balanced better and therefore less tiresome to use day after day

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I've bought a mid priced set of tools to start with, I can see how these last and also which tools I use most.

Doug

Back