• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello

Marty.h

Hi I'm new here having kept a marine tank for a few years a full reef and selling up I've recently got a smaller tank and gone freshwater planted.

Its all new to me but I'm hoping they a bit easier to care for then a full SPS and LPS reef tank no doubt I'll be asking some questions

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Welcome.

I would say both fresh water planted and reef tanks have different sets of complexity.

It depends what you define as easier and how far you are willing to take this but I would think that on a fresh water tank you have more flexibility than on a reef tank. On a planted tank the plants are the heart of the tank and as long as you have enough and healthy plants the tank can take some neglect. I would say you would really need to neglect the tank a lot and even then things can still bounce back if you do the necessary. On a reef tank things can turn sour much faster and usually a crashed tank involves the death of everything or nearly everything in it. This also means you can lose a lot of money. On a planted tank I would say the cost is more into the plants than into the fish although you can alway go for expensive fish of course. Plants have the potential to grow back fish don't.

Welcome.

I would say both fresh water planted and reef tanks have different sets of complexity.

It depends what you define as easier and how far you are willing to take this but I would think that on a fresh water tank you have more flexibility than on a reef tank. On a planted tank the plants are the heart of the tank and as long as you have enough and healthy plants the tank can take some neglect. I would say you would really need to neglect the tank a lot and even then things can still bounce back if you do the necessary. On a reef tank things can turn sour much faster and usually a crashed tank involves the death of everything or nearly everything in it. This also means you can lose a lot of money. On a planted tank I would say the cost is more into the plants than into the fish although you can alway go for expensive fish of course. Plants have the potential to grow back fish don't.
Yes from what I have looked into you have much greater room for error for example a plant would start to change colour should it be lacking a vital element where you can go to bed at night with your corals looking spot on and wake up in the morning to stripped corals and just a skeleton and that in some cases is without any warning corals in some cases would give a warning like clamping, bleaching ect.

Is plant keeping the same as marine with regards to stability ? With a marine tank the key is to keep parameters stable and any adjustments have to be done slowly as a sudden spike and you could potentially watch corals just strip away that's SPS and LPS corals the soft corals however are very forgiving. So I'm guessing plants allow room for error and give warning.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back