• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Come home to a cracked tank.

Monkfish

Just come home to a cracked tank and water all over my study floor. Been away for a weeks so don’t know when it happened. I can see a few fish and shrimp have survived, but not sure how many. Frantically trying to setup an old tank to house what has survived. Lots of the plants have perished too

Has this happened to anyone on here? The house insurance company is closed so I can’t ask ask them what pics etc they need.

I’d just got it to a point I was really happy with too!!
0677e1dbfec8d30f5a710ea2b4e4b6f1.jpg
/ad92f2d78c9d449a2f2cf1de7cd6b378.jpg[/IMG]

Oh dear.

Can only help re insurance.

Tank won’t be covered unless you have accidental damage.
For AD it must have taken a knock, eg you hit it with the hoover handle before went away away. Note probably not worth claiming for less than say £500, it’ll cost you that over a few years in increased premium. Remember the excess also.

It should NOT be included in standard extension of AD to FIXED glass (that is referring to a window/shower screen etc).

Water damage to furnishings etc will be covered if you have AD. Note it is not escape of water from a FIXED water installation.

Check out the perils covered in your schedule (for AD) and policy wording for escape of water. Usually says fixed installation.

Floor - semi permanent wood floor or tiles will be buildings. Carpets will be contents (unless stuck down).

Hope that makes sense.

S.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the silly question but what is AD?

Edit: just re-read and worked out AD is Accidental Damage.

Yes AD is accidental damage.

AD is an optional extension that you pay extra for on home insurance. Eg I’ve knocked over my priceless vase!

You have standard AD extensions, eg AD to sanitary ware and another AD to fixed glass.

Either way unless it has buggered an expensive floor probably not with claiming for I’m afraid.....

Sorry one other Q. How long will my plants keep if I put them in a bit bucket of water and don’t let it get cold?

Also what might be the best way to keep my substrate so that doesn’t spoil? I can’t put it all in my temp tanks.

Substrate will be good even if it dries. Don’t worry about that,

Plants will be fine in a bucket for a few days. They like it cold don’t worry about that. It’s lack of flow they don’t seem to like.

You may be worth getting a large plastic container (50 - 100L ) storage box. Stick your filter and co2 on it. Hey presto a fish tank!

I had a similar situation only difference it happened while I was standing in front of it. Every thing was covered by insurance as I have a glass breakage included. Total repair and replacement of tank was about $2000.

I used large plastic containers for about a months and never lost a fish or a plant.

Keith:wave::wave:

I think the most important thing to do once the plants and critters are taken care of is to find out exactly whey the tank cracked.

Tanks don't just crack... there must have been something under the bottom plate or the edges if it is a raised bottom. Where is the tank situated? What's it on? What type of cabinet? Did you place mylar or polystyrene under it?

When I took the tank off the stand the wood underneath was really bobbly and warped, don't know if this was a result of the crack or the case of. It was on an aquarium mat.

The insurance company agreed to replace it all on Monday, which was really quick! I'm now looking at a smaller tank, 45cm cube, with a dedicated stand.

When I took the tank off the stand the wood underneath was really bobbly and warped, don't know if this was a result of the crack or the case of. It was on an aquarium mat.

The insurance company agreed to replace it all on Monday, which was really quick! I'm now looking at a smaller tank, 45cm cube, with a dedicated stand.

If the cabinet top has warped then the tank will literally twist. Let me guess.... the crack runs from back pane to front pane diagonally? (couldn't see your picture by the way).

Warped bottom pane gives either diagonal crack on front or back pane in well built tanks or tearing of silicone on opposite diagonal corners.

Back