• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

e24ef08af785aa4a40981a0cb52227bd.jpg

Succulent Iwugumi has grown in well. Shame I think frost will destroy the dragon stone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can any one ID this house/garden plant. Friend found it on a tip and potted it on. The flower is approx 1'' or 25mm for younger viewers. Thanks in advance. Hope picture has posted. If not could be in post below.

Still in the dark about picture not loading, but plant ID as a Patycdon or Balloon Flower. Bought two today one white and one blue, £2 each. Sorry about the two duff postings.

Hi all,
but plant ID as a Platycdon or Balloon Flower. Bought two today one white and one blue, £2 each.
The snails munched the three I bought on the night after I planted them. Bought two more, same happened

Having said that most Campanula relatives have a pretty short life with me. The best/worst was Codonopsis vinciflora, which must be cat-nip for snails, and they started congregating even before I'd left the plant.

This year I grew <"Campanula incurva"> from seed (it germinates like cress). I used to have it and it did very well for me and wasn't noticeably eaten, but I got fed up with growing new plants (it is monocarpic). Planted them out, next morning all gone.

cheers Darrel

Well guernsey is now in an official drought!
We still have plenty of water although there is talk of a hose pipe restrictions in Jersey.
My lawns are very dry but still green (light green) but they will be yellow by Sunday.

I built a table for the party hose using a plank of walnut that I have had in a sawn state for many years.
I used a bit of epoxy to add some interest.....
ADCDE8B4-5DF6-4816-8AEC-1BCB1610B483.jpeg
532095F1-9C72-483E-831D-0E1B1485C715.jpeg

We have been promised rain , in fact it was meant to rain all day yesterday but it didn’t rain at all!
Today’ does look more promising ..... It is the same with snow, always promising snow but it somehow scoots around the island and never lands on us!
The last rain was 36 days ago and much of the common land and fields are yellow, no rain and lots of dry wind has made this a bad year for gardens.

Campanula relatives have a pretty short life with me.
Sorry about snails, I use chemicals/throw them over the hedge. The root system on the Balloon flowers is robust. Have some concerns about being invasive. Time will tell. The price was low and in my defense I was left unsupervised.

upload_2019-8-12_11-18-41.jpeg

Flower scape... It was going alright. Sort of survived the weather this weekend but it’s certainly been thinned out by the wind :lol: Natures way of dead heading I guess.

Have also got a hedgehog who’s set up residence under the shed and potters around the garden at night. Blurry photo alert:

upload_2019-8-12_11-34-22.jpeg

Any suggestions on how to give Mr/Mrs Hedgehog a hand getting through the summer?

Currently just leaving a terracotta dish full of water available.

For people from South East Asia this might be very common seen about at every street corner. The Butterfly Pea.. :)
(Clitoria ternatea). But for Western Europe a rare treat..

After over 4 years trying and failing with seeds from a wild shrub from Thailand i finaly managed to grow a small healthy shrub with a small wooden stem and it's finaly flowering full color.
DSC_0072.JPG

Not giving up payed off.. Tho i never thought i would succeed it's a very climate and light sensitive plant, not dificult to germinate but very difficult to grow on to maturity in temporate climate with dark winters. And this hot dry summer with loads of sun and water seemed to be that little push she needed.

DSC_0077.JPG

It's medicinal and edible, flowers contain a very strong pigment and are used to color foods, drinks and textiles.
DSC_0078.JPG

:)

Well, I guess if anyone could get it to grow and flower it'd be you Marcel. Aptly named as well...:D:oops:

:oops: Always thought the Englisch common name for it was less in your face. Since it looks like a Butterfly and it fruits with Legumes and actual peas in it.. But now you mention it.. It speaks to imagination.. :playful: Have to admit, its the reason i wanted to grow it so badly in the first place.. Having a laugh..

Take it inside for winter?

Yes it gong indoors in the winter.. It will hang here under the dome.
DSC_0079.JPG

It kinda functions a bit as a greenhouse, warm air accumulates there. But the winters short light periode and likely lower night temps is already hard on the plant. At leas when it still was young. I guess or beter say hope that now its more mature it will take it beter, its the first one i got to grow a wooden stem.. It was quite a strugle to get this far.. :)

Maybe you are better of with a greenhouse/conservatory to move everything there during winter;)
That is and likely will stay a dream for ever.. I wish i had. And if i had it would be like walking into a jungle with a pond in it.

I have just ordered these Daffodils all on a Pre Order that means a lot cheaper.
Daffodil_Dble_Mixed%20GE%2031.8.19.jpg

Daffodil Double mixed

Daffodil_Replete%20GE%2031.8.19%20jpg_edited-1.jpg

Daffodil Replete

Daffodil-Ice-Follies%20GE%2031.8.19%20_edited-1.jpg

Daffodil Ice Follies

odil-mini-collection%20GE%2031.8.19%20jpg_edited-1.jpg

Daffodil Mini collection

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

i have been out collecting a few new trees to boost my diminishing bonsai collection.
I am a member of a freshwater fishing club and was involved in some bank clearance so I took the opportunity to collect a few suitable trees.
The best was an evergreen oak that is well over 30 years old, I have tried to count the growth rings but they are very difficult to count until the sap drys out a bit.
Also collected a couple of blackthorn, a privet and a big bit of self rooted willow.
85FBEE0D-D3A6-4821-A26E-2CA971B855A7.jpeg
25D0BD20-B0E7-4EFA-9268-CAE4B9083BD4.jpeg
C29A9846-4017-472E-BC02-4825DE88DAE8.jpeg
29097552-B859-43F8-9B25-BCB5C0D2723E.jpeg
80A4BB1B-88FF-47BC-AD16-12EF60446F80.jpeg

Back